Chapter 9: Willow DeLaughery

"Sera!!" Grams all but screams. "You told me you were done with all of that!" Mother turns to Grams with a scowl. "I am now, but I still practiced it then," she says shamefully.

"You...what?" Cecily asks incredulously. "What were you practicing that gave you the ability to clear Willow's memory?" Mother's only response is silence and a regretful expression.

"Witchcraft," Grams whispers, completely livid. I gasp, and Cecily's crystal blue eyes widen in horror and she drops her spoon as her hands fly to her mouth. Grams is still furious. "You told me you stopped the minute you married Nicholas. Now I find out that I was lied to for eight years?"

"Wait," I interrupt, no longer wanting to look past my mother's first confession, "I'm not your blood daughter?" Mother sighs, shaking her head, and I abruptly stand from my place at the table, tearing my hand away from hers. "Well, then I guess I won't be missed very much if I don't go with you to the King's arrival."

Cecily stands as well with a desperate look. "Willow, please come with us," she cries, "if not for Mother, then for me, your sister."

"Willow," Grams chimes in, "if you don't want to go, I'll stay home with you." She's probably offering this so she can figure out my powers.

Mother remains silent, but her eyes implore me to change my mind. Nevertheless, I remain resilient, and swiftly turn on my heel and walk out the front door. I break out into a run as soon as I hear my mother call my name.

I race through the square, not caring what destruction I leave in my path for once. I hear other voices yelling my name, some with confusion, others with concern. I reach the edge of Laughery and stop to catch my breath. I look ahead at the forest that lays before me, and then back at the town I call my home. I nod to myself, making up my mind, and continue forward.

The moment I step over the threshold of the woods, I am met with overwhelming emotion. I let the tears fall as I walk aimlessly, not caring where I'm going. I just need to get away from Laughery for a while.

I've been lied to my entire life, I realize. I'm angry, I'm devastated, I've been betrayed, and I am not about to let anyone deprive me of my right to cry in a forest. I find myself pushing through low hanging branches with ease, as if the branches move themselves as soon as I approach. I take note of this to tell Grams later, if I ever go back. I could live out here, I tell myself. There's a stream just off the main path, and if nothing else, I could always make a home from trees and vines. I doubt anyone in Laughery would really miss me.

After walking for some time, I stumble upon a clearing in the middle of the woods littered with pinecones and leaves. As I enter the area from my place in the trees, I notice a few things.

The first thing I notice is that the clearing is circular. In fact, it's a perfect circle. Trees line the edge of it, but stop growing there, almost like a boundary line.

Secondly, I notice how bright it is compared to the rest of the forest. With no trees in the middle of the clearing, the sunlight streams in from overhead, providing light and warmth.

Finally, I notice a change in my own energy, as if walking barefoot along the forest floor gives me strength. I take note of the dirt on the ground and the soft texture it has. I realize I am leaving footprints in the soil and when I look down, I see small sprouts beginning to grow in the imprints. I kneel down, hoping to examine the sprouts more closely. I hold out my right hand and slowly move it towards the sky, watching as the sprouts grow into actual flowers in a matter of seconds. Red dahlias, I think to myself as I watch them bloom.

A breeze rustles the leaves of the trees, and I swear I hear someone whisper my name. I stand quickly and search for the source of the whisper, but I don't find a single living creature anywhere. I walk to the middle of the clearing and stand quietly, taking in the warmth of the sun.

"Willow..." I hear the whisper again, and whip my head towards where it seemed to have come from. Again, I find nothing, and make my way over to a tree on the edge of the clearing to rest by. I glance down, realizing my lovely dress is now covered in thorns, dirt, twigs, and leaves. I sigh and sit on the ground anyway, leaning against the tree trunk.