Chapter 19: The Prince of Hell

Henley had been sitting with Jack for God knows how long. She was almost asleep when her uncle's voice startled her. Bolting upright, she looked around, and saw her uncle, standing in the alleyway, hands stuffed in his jackets' pockets. He was obviously upset with her, but concern also shined in his eyes.

"Henley. . .why didn't you come tell us where you were? Dean and I have been looking everywhere for you two. Your dad thought. . ." Sam stopped, clearing his throat, and gesturing for her to head back inside. Henley nodded, knowing Sam needed a moment alone with Jack.

Stopping by her uncle as she made to leave, Henley tugged on his jacket sleeve, gesturing for him to bend down. "Don't be too hard on him, okay? He was just upset, and he needed some time alone. I promised I wouldn't leave."

Sam sent her a grateful smile, whispering back, "I won't. You're a good kid; you know that?"

Henley smirked, shrugging her shoulders. "I know. I'm amazing." Sam let out a scoff, messing up her hair, before sending her back to the room. Finding the hotel room empty, Henley figured Dean had either gone for a walk or to the hotel bar. Shaking her head at her own naivety, she knew that if she wanted to find her father he'd be near the closest liquor establishment. Deciding on leaving her father alone to ponder his thoughts, she figured Sam would tell Dean that he found her and Jack. Locking the hotel door behind her, Henley quickly changed into a pair of pajama pants and a ratty old ZZ Top t shirt, and slid into the sub par bed Dean had claimed. Letting out a sigh of exhaustion, Henley shut off the bedside lamp. Curling up into a ball, and tucking her hands underneath her pillow, she let sleep consume her, hoping tomorrow would pan out better than today had.

When Henley awoke the next morning, the sun shining through the cheap hotel window, she knew she had overslept. Her dad or uncle always woke her up before the sun rose. Thinking for a split second that they had abandoned her here, Henley shot up in bed, relieved to see Sam and Dean conversing at the coffee table. Letting out a sigh of relief, Henley realized it was foolish to think they'd leave her behind. She knew Sam and Dean would never do that. At least not now anyway. Not now that they truly cared about her.

"Morning boys," Henley chirped, cringing inwardly at how cheery her tone sounded for having just woken up. Sam and Dean stopped talking immediately about whatever they were discussing, both of them shooting her a sad attempt at a smile.

"Morning sweetheart," Dean said, getting up out of the rickety kitchen chair, and coming over to the bed, and offering her a Styrofoam cup of what she assumed was coffee.

Henley raised an eyebrow at his behavior. "Almond milk and two teaspoons of sugar?" She asked, taking the coffee from him and removing the plastic lid. Dean rolled his eyes, sitting back down in his chair at the table.

"Well aren't you picky," He jested, a slight chuckle leaving him. "No. They didn't have almond milk at the crappy diner down the road. It's just plain regular milk and two packets of Sugar in the Raw. That's all they had kiddo." Henley shrugged, smiling at the fact that he had at least remembered she preferred almond milk.

"Well that's okay. I can settle for one day. Thank you for getting me a coffee." Dean nodded his head in response, focusing his attention back on his brother, who was quietly sipping his own morning beverage. Henley could tell Sam desperately wanted to finish the conversation he and and her father were discussing before she awoke. "So. . .considering you two obviously have some unfinished business to discuss and don't want to talk about it in front of me, I'm going to get dressed and head over to Donatello's room. See how Jack is doing."

"Thanks Henley," Sam breathed out, rubbing his eyes. She knew neither of the boys got much sleep last night. Her dad didn't get back until 3:00 in the morning. The only reason she even knew when he had returned was all thanks to the loud and squeaky hotel door. Sometimes being a light sleeper was really annoying.