Friend Fiasco

Day 7, Week 1

$$$

Peter: I have a friend that I want you to meet, and I think you guys are gonna get along pretty well.

Mantis: But, what if he doesn't like me??

Peter: Don't worry! He's a nice guy, and he loves meeting new people.

Mantis: If you say so ...

Peter: Anyway, he should be here any second now *glances at his watch*

Ned: *covers Mantis' eyes* Guess who?

Mantis: Well, you can't be Peter so *gasps* are you my Conscience?!

Ned: Uhh, not quite *takes his hands off her eyes*

Peter: Aye, Ned! Wassup bruh?

Ned: Nothing much until you called! *fist-bumps with Peter*

Mantis: *stares at Ned's tummy before gasping in delight* Oh my gosh I'm so happy for you! How many months until you're due?

Ned: ... Excuse me?

Mantis: You know I always wanted to be a mother in the past but now I just want to congratulate you on being a parent!

Ned: *talking to Peter* Do you know her?

Peter: *gulps* Yes?

Mantis: Hey little guy! *talking to Ned's tummy* can't wait to meet your new daddy now, can you? You must be so lonely sitting in there 24/7. Don't worry, I'll keep you company! *hugs Ned around the waist and tummy* I just wanna hear your little thoughts. C'mon, baby! Reach out! Reach out! Yes, there you go!

*Awkward silence*

Peter: *quickly pulls Mantis away* Ok that's enough sweet talk. Can you excuse us for a moment please, Ned?

Ned: Ok, sure *still confused about Mantis' encounter*

Peter: *whispering* What was that all about?! Do you know how conscious Ned is about his weight? You can't just go off saying things like that to people.

Mantis: But he's expecting! I just wanted to show him how happy I was for them.

Peter: Whoa whoa WHOA! Exactly what do you mean by expecting??

Mantis: Isn't he pregnant?

Peter: WHAT?!! WHERE ON EARTH WOULD YOU GET ANY IDEA LIKE THAT?!!?

Ned: Uh, Peter? Are you done yet?

Peter: *to Ned* Almost! *whispering to Mantis* Ok, look. I don't know what happens on your planet, or your race's culture, but PLEASE promise me that you'll never speak about it in front of him again, alright? It's taboo.

Mantis: What is TAH-Boo??

Peter: It means never to speak the unspeakable.

Mantis: TAH-Boo.

Peter: Taboo.

Mantis: TAH-Boo.

Peter: Ok, say "Ta."

Mantis: "Ta."

Peter: Then "Boo."

Mantis: "Boo."

Peter: Now say Taboo.

Mantis: TAH-Boo.

Peter: ... Never mind, just don't say anything like that again.

Mantis: Ok.

*Both come back to Ned*

Mantis: Sorry about what I said earlier.

Ned: It's ok. So, you are--

Mantis: I'm Mantis!

Ned: I'm Ned. So are you, like Peter's girlfriend or something?

Peter: What?! No, she's not my--

Mantis: Actually, yes! I am his girlfriend! *has gotten the wrong picture of what that means*

Ned: Really?! Peter, you never told me you had a girlfriend *elbows him playfully and smirks*

Peter: OH NO that's not it I--

Mantis: In fact, he even paid for our hotel bills last night so we could sleep together!

Peter: AAH! No no no no no she's got it all wrong--

Ned: Wow, already?! I haven't even scored a date with MJ yet!

Peter: Ned that is not what's going on right now! Me and Mantis are just friends.

Mantis: Just friends?! Peter! How could you say that? I thought we had a connection!!!

Ned: *looking between them amusingly*

Peter: We do! it's just that--ahhh!! Can you just give us another moment, Ned??

Ned: Ok ...

Peter: *once again pulls Mantis aside* Have you lost your mind?! Do you know how wrong that sounds?!

Mantis: But it's the truth.*once again utterly confused*

Peter: Alright Mantis, look: a friend is just someone who you hang around with a lot, but a girlfriend is a lover, like someone who you date with, kiss and stuff. You get what I mean??

Mantis: Oh. That makes more sense actually.

Peter: Yeah. Now c'mon, Ned's waiting for us *takes them back to Ned*

Ned: So which is it? Girlfriend or no girlfriend?

Mantis: No girlfriend. Peter is right. We are just friends.

Ned: Ok ...

Peter: Anyways I saw this really nice fast-food restaurant up the street. You guys wanna go there for lunch later on??

Ned: Heck yeah!

Mantis: Ok! Let's go then.

$$$