Chapter: Friends After All

Start from the beginning

"Okay, get me carrots," she says. I look at her, "Really? I came here to be your helper?"

She nods, "Yes, old lady needs help to get groceries out of car."

"But I can't help you alot," I say.

"but you have to," she nods. She walks to the potatoes. I sigh, "Fine." I get a plastic bag and get carrots.

"Aren't you the drunk boy?"

I look up and see a fat white man with a gray mustache. "What?" I ask.

"Yeah, you killed the Billy kid,"

I notice he has an employee uniform. I ignore him and walk to the cart.

"Why are we serving killers?" he exclaims.

Lu hears him and quickly shuts him up. "No killer, and you are being mean. I am going to call the manager!"

"No need to that miss," he whispers. He slowly walks away. I thought people forgotten about all of that.

"Derek, you okay?" Lu pats my back. "Let's go."

"Yeah, I'm fine."

We go home immediately. I go to my room and lock myself in. I am a killer. If it wasn't for me, Billy will be alive.

He would have gone to prom and graduated. He would have married his girlfriend. I killed him.

There's a knock on my door. "Go away!"

"It's Leslie,"

What the? Why is she here? "Go away. I'm resting."

"Please, open the door," she says.

"Who are you?" I hear Stan in the hallway.

I quickly get up and open the door. I don't even use my cane. "Get in," I drag Leslie in and close the door.

"Whoa!" she yells, "Okay."

"He is a dumbass," I say. "That's my brother."

"Oh Stan?" she smiles, "why do you say he is a dumbass?"

"Hey! I heard that!" Stan yellls.

"Go to your room!" I yell back.

"I'm going to tell mom you have a girl in your room!"

"So?"

"She is going to freak out!" I hear Stan's chuckles as he leaves downstairs. Oh man, my mom is going to think I like Leslie.

"So," Leslie says, "what is going on?"

I shake my head, "Nothing." I suddenly feel pain in my leg. Darn too much pressure on it. I hop on my good leg to my bed and sit on it.

"Stan seems nice," Leslie chuckles.

"sure,"

"Here," she puts a bag of chocolates in my face. "I made them at the bakery. Mr. Rice showed me how to make it."

I get the bag and thank her. "Is Mr. Rice the friend of the family?"

She nods.

"So, why are you here?"

"I wanted to see what were you doing," she says. "I have my day off, and was wondering if we can hang."

"No thanks," I put the bag of chocolates to the side. She kneels in front of me. We are at eye level. "Why? Why are you sad?"

"I'm not sad,"

"But you wanted me to go away,"

I sigh, "Just."