Chapter 28- The Bad Boy's...Heart

Start from the beginning

                “What’d she do now?” he grumbles before hanging up. I stride towards the window after pocketing my phone, giving her a challenging look.

                “I’m not going to run,” she scowls. She looks like a kitten clawing at a ball of yarn. Yeah, that’s fierce. “I know that you’re trying to intimidate me by bringing the rest of the guys here, but I’m not changing my mind,” she states sternly. Damn, can she believe so much in my dad to stick up for him? she straightens up in her seat as footsteps near the door before the door opens and in walks Adrian followed by Sammy, Lucas, Kim and Kohl.

                “You. Didn’t,” Adrian looks at her in confusion, but underneath the anger I know she might have hurt him. Despite the tough exterior and badass attitude, no, he’s not nice, but when he trusts somebody it’s all the way. And for some weird reason, he trusts Khloe.   

                “Maybe you should explain,” Lucas tries to mediate the situation though I’m pretty sure we’re all thinking the same thing: what the hell possessed her to hide him, of all people, in her house? Taking a deep breath, she begins to explain how he came to the house before to tell her Ruby was safe and where to find her, all the way to him being stabbed. All the while her eyes keep finding my own and each time I advert my gaze to my worn out Vans. My dad on the other hand just observes everyone, gauging their reactions carefully. He loves to observe people, finding things in their mannerisms that they probably don’t know themselves. That’s what he used to teach me.

                “Why didn’t you tell us he wasn’t dead?” Adrian glares.

Great, he’s going to be in a mood now.

“Yeah, I can’t believe you would do this,” Kohl pitches in shaking his head in disappointment, for some reason he keeps looking at us nervously.

“You stitched him up,” Khloe retorts. All eyes seem to train in on him and see what his next response is going to be.

“You bribed me with a date,” he points at Kim.

“What a man,” Sammy smirks. “I knew he was here and we kept him hidden,” she adds, giving Adrian a challenging glare when he turns to her.

“Damn, seems like everyone’s keeping secrets, huh?” Lucas asks sarcastically.

“Yeah, seems so,” Khloe glares at the rest of us, catching me off guard. What the hell secrets have I been keeping? Well, except for Kohl’s. Yeah I know, you should be honest but it’s not really my secret to tell. It’s not a big deal anyways. Her eyes meet her brother’s and it’s like she knows he’s the one keeping something from her.

“I think you should just talk it out, there’s no use in attacking each other,” my dad’s words really piss me off. Isn’t that what he did, attack my mother at the first sign of trouble?

“Yeah, you’d know about that,” I grumble causing him and Khloe to look at me.

“Let’s leave the past alone for now,” my dad tries to placate but I don’t think it worked. I didn’t notice when I balled my hands into fists or when I strode over to him to land hit after hit, all I saw was red. The anger, the hate, the betrayal, everything I’ve kept inside for what seems so long, pouring out in every punch I land on his face. All I keep seeing is my mom’s face as the oxygen left her lungs, her eyes pleading with me to look after my sisters.

“She was calling for you,” the words escape my mouth without my consent. Silence falls over the room and the hands that were trying to pull me from him suddenly stop, replaced by a pair of feminine ones that I’d know anywhere. I shrug Khloe’s hands from me, she’s the last person that needs to see me like this. Nobody understands the anger, the disappointment I feel towards my father. I was the only one there when my mom died, when she told me how much he loved all of us. How much she loved him, she told me that I didn’t understand. But I do, he’s a bastard. I get up from the floor and walk away from his bloodied face. I walk out the front door and over to my car, I don’t need to turn around to know she’s following me. I climb inside and a minute later Khloe does too.