Chapter 16- Secrets, Threats, and New Friends

A loud knocking disturbs me from my sleep causing the monster within me to arise and make an appearance. I grab one of my black fluffy pillows, wishing the world would just disappear and allow me to sleep. Whoever is at my door seems to not want to wake the rest of the household up, oh, but disturbing me sure is in their plans. After a while I have enough, I throw my covers off of me in an angry fit before stomping my feet into their Despicable Me minion slippers and angrily shuffle to the door.

                “What do you want?” I clench my teeth at whoever stands at my door as I wipe the sleepy haze from my eyes.

                “Uhm, I just wanted to know if you, uh, wanted to go with Lucy and me to get her first Christmas pictures taken,” Drew nervously asks as his gaze sweeps over me, taking me in as if the fact I’m in sweats and a tank top is the most glorious sight he’s ever seen. I am so not in the mood for his flattery right now. Wait, did he just mention Lucy?

                “Did you just invite me to take Lucy for pictures?” I finally look up into his beautiful blues.

                “Yeah, I thought we could get her first Santa pictures today?” he asks. It’s been a week since my birthday and things have been going well. I haven’t hung around Drew much, it’s the fact that I don’t know how to act around him sometimes. He confuses the heck out of me, it’s like choosing between the mocha and caramel frappe, they’re both cold and delicious.

                “I’ve been meaning to ask, when is my baby’s birthday?” I yawn as I wave him inside my room and close the door. He smiles as he remembers what I’m sure would be a cool tale.

                “She’s a new year’s baby,” he answers. Aw, I love New Year babies. They’re like a symbol for pure, clean starts.

                “Really, oh, I have to plan her first party, get her a present, this is going to be awesome,” I cheer as I dig through my drawers for some warm clothes.

                “Tell me about it, it was crazy,” Drew exclaims as he lies down on my bed.

                “What do you mean?” I pop my head out of the bathroom with my toothbrush in mouth.

                “It was just Lucas, Sammy, Adrian and I, you’ll never guess who fainted,” Drew remarks. Oh, I’ve got to hear this.

                “Lucas?” I call out from the bathroom.

                “Adrian,” he corrects, his answer astounds me so much I almost plunge head first into the tub, that could have very well been my unforgettable uncoordinated skills but I’m going to go with the surprise excuse.

                “No way, how?” I smile as I come out of the bathroom fully dressed and head to the closet for my boots.

                “My mom started screaming out some very graphic scenarios while he was trying to calm her down, she held his hand a little too tight and cut off the blood flow, next thing you know Adrian was knocked out cold. He missed the whole birth,” Drew recalls. Ha, now I have something to hold over Adrian’s head.

                “The midwife had a kick out of that,” he adds.

                “So, your mom gave birth at home?”

                “She had to, you ready yet?” I can tell he’s trying to change the subject so I let my curiosity go. I nod while bouncing cheerily. He shakes his head and follows me out the door. There’s something about the Christmas time that adds a little spring to my step. I just love the whole season, especially the twinkling lights and the fact that I will have Lucy with me this year. A certain blue eyed boy added to the mix isn’t so bad either.