{Chapter 1} The Castle

Chapter 1

“Is there an attic?” Jace asked excitedly.

“I believe so,” Carlisle answered from his spot in the drivers’ seat. We all had to shuffle into three cars and two moving trucks.

“I call dibs,” I said, before Jace could claim it for himself. He glared at me. Jace picked up my left hand, kissing it and then playing with the diamond ring on my fourth finger. “It’s all mine, too. You can’t share a room with me,” I told Jace, with a sly smile.

“There is no calling dibs,” Emmett stated. “It’s every man for himself. Whoever gets there first, gets the room.” I kicked the back of his chair.

‘Alright, let’s make a plan,’ Jace’s voice echoed in my head. I looked up at him and he winked. Our only advantage was that Jace’s kinetic abilities meant that he could either a) compel another person to do whatever he wanted, b) read someone’s mind and c) he could send thoughts. We could plan out our plan before Emmett even stepped foot inside our new home. ‘Did you memorise a map of the house?’ I nodded. It only took one quick glance for my photographic memory to embed it in my brain. ‘And you know where you’re going?’ I squeeze his hand as a yes. I thought of the map and how the attic was straight ahead once you’re through the front door. All the other bedrooms were up the stairs to the right. ‘Alright. I’ll race right and try to distract everyone else from the attic. You hang back and give us that look that you do when you say we act like “children.”’

So all the time, I wanted to say.

Then once everyone has disappeared upstairs run for the attic,’ he concluded. I grinned at him and he kissed my temple.

The Cullen’s had stayed in Silverstone for five years and weren’t making any signs of aging. Neither was I. I still looked sixteen compared to the age I should have been had I not been turned into a vampire.

“People are going to start noticing,” Jace explained as we packed our things into boxes. “We tend to move on and come back in a couple of years.”

I didn’t have a problem with moving because there was nothing left for me in Silverstone. I had graduated high school, my brother was in university and so were our friends, Sky and Devon. My little sister had been adopted into a family that didn’t actually live in our small town. Our parents had passed away and there was nothing holding me there. Except their graves.

Jace promised me we could go back whenever I wanted if I missed them. Running at our speed means it wouldn’t take very long either.

When our car pulled up in front of our new place, I gasped. It wasn’t just some house. It was big enough to be a castle. There were two large round towers at the front of the house and two taller and skinner ones in the back. They were both considered attics.  The one on the right Carlisle claimed as his office. That left the one on the left for Jace and I. One of the two front ones was the kitchen and the other a living room. The structure was made of dark rocks. There were large windows and yellow light was pouring out of them, illuminating the front lawn.

“Now this is where a vampire should live,” I said, referring to how dark the property was. Emmett ruffled my hair and I swatted his hand away.

 “It belonged to Malcolm Riverview and it has been for sale since his death. Everyone believes it’s haunted,” Carlisle explained as we all clambered out of the car.