Chapter 4

Once again, Callie was wandering aimlessly through the school hallways, trying to figure out where to eat her "lunch." She couldn't believe they called this stuff food. Her hamburger patty looked more like what she'd find in a litter box, and her salad dressing looked like water.

She found a door at the end of the hallway and looked inside. The music room. It seemed like a safe place to eat; no one in their right mind would go to the music room during lunch.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around.

"Hey," Brandon smiled.

Callie smiled back just a little. "Hi."

"Why aren't you outside or something?"

"Um, because I don't exactly have any friends here." Duh. "No one wants to be friends with the juvie girl."

Brandon furrowed his eyebrows and nodded his head. "Well, you can eat in the music room with me if you want."

He opened the door and Callie followed him inside.

"Wait. You eat in the music room?"

Brandon nodded. "Yeah, I like to practice on the piano."

Callie nodded and took a bite of her litter box hamburger, watching as Brandon sat down on the piano bench and started playing a song. She watched him wide-eyed. It was amazing; she'd never heard anything like it.

"Wow, that's awesome."

Brandon looked at her. "You think so?" He laughed. "Thanks. I wrote it."

"You wrote it."

"Yeah. I have this audition in a few weeks, and they want one classical and one original piece. This one's about the night Mom and Lena asked if the twins could move in with us."

Brandon started playing each part on the piano and he explained to Callie who each part was. He stopped playing the song and looked at his sheet music. "I don't know. I still feel like it's missing something."

Callie took a bite of her salad. "Yeah. Me."

Brandon looked at her and raised his eyebrows.

Callie laughed. "I'm kidding! Totally kidding. It sounds good. I don't think it's missing anything."

Brandon smiled.

"Wait, they asked if the twins could move in with you? Were you gonna say no?"

"Well, no. I mean, I don't know. I figured there was enough to go around."

"Enough of what?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Everything."

Callie took another bite of her hamburger. Enough of everything? Wow. This kid actually had a heart. She hadn't been around too many people like Brandon in her lifetime.

The door to the music room opened and a girl with blonde hair stepped in. She was really pretty; Callie recognized her from Timothy's class.

Talya.

Talya walked over to Brandon and tapped him on the shoulder. "Hey, B, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure."

"Can we go into the hallway?"

Brandon glanced at Callie and then looked back at Talya. "Yeah, I guess, Just for a minute or two."

He followed her out of the music room and shut the door. Okay, Callie thought, whatever. She tried not to look at them through the glass panels in the door, but she couldn't help herself. They looked like they were arguing, and Talya had tears running down her face. Callie tried really hard not to be happy about that.

Wait a second... Was she starting to like Brandon? Oh no. She could not do this to Jude again. She would do anything in her power to not let this go too far. She didn't want this to end up how the Liam thing did. Then again, Brandon wasn't anything like Liam. Or at least, she didn't think he was. It was hard to tell; she didn't know him that well yet.

Callie watched Brandon give Talya a kiss on the forehead. She considered being jealous, but then Brandon opened the door to the music room and stormed back in, looking especially pissed off.

"What was that about?"

Brandon shook his head.

"Come on, Brandon. You can talk to me. Are you okay?"

"I just... Talya wanted to get back together. But she's the one that cheated on me! I've been tired of her crap for a while now, too. I really don't know what to do. Moms love her, and her and Mariana are really good friends, and I just don't want to mess it up for everybody."

"Brandon, you have to do what you want to do. If you've been tired of her for a while, then it makes sense not to get back together with her. She cheated on you. How do you know she won't do it again? You can't worry about what your family will think, or what they will want. Right now you just have to think about you. You'll never be happy if you always try to put everyone else before yourself."

Brandon pressed his lips together in a thin line and rested his hand on Callie's. "Thanks."

Callie tried not to think about their hands touching. She tried not to think about how it made her feel, how it felt like there was an electric charge going through her entire body. She tried not to think about how mad Jude would be if he saw this, how she was messing things up all over again.

It's just our hands touching. It's not like we're kissing or something; this isn't even that bad.

She pulled her hand out from underneath of Brandon's and smiled just the tiniest bit.

"I better get to class," she said, in a voice barely louder than a whisper.

The bell signaling the end of lunch hadn't even rang yet.