Chapter 1

Night had fallen over the pine forest, cloaking the land in a shadowy veil of darkness. Crickets chirped softly in the cold dark grass, the only sound breaking the silence of the night. There were fewer trees by the outskirts of the territory. One of these few was the burnt sycamore, an old damaged tree that stood in the middle of the grass, leafless branches stretching out into the dark sky like long bony fingers.

Where are they? Ebonypaw wondered. She sat by the gnarled roots of the burnt sycamore, looking toward the ShadowClan camp. It's been a while...

Earlier that evening, Revengeheart, her mentor, had told she and Flintpaw that they would be training here tonight. There seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary at first. They went to the burnt sycamore occasionally for night training, something that all ShadowClan apprentices experienced. But they had always left camp together, with Revengeheart and Swiftstalker. This time, the two warriors were absent. Revengeheart had said something about having business to take care of, urging them to go on ahead, and he and Swiftstalker would meet them there. It was different, but neither Ebonypaw or Flintpaw had questioned this. What apprentice would be disrespectful enough to question their mentor's orders?

Ebonypaw shivered as a cool breeze ruffled her dark tabby fur. It's freezing tonight! I hope they get here soon so we can start moving!

Her brother, Flintpaw, was pacing not far from her, circling the tree boredly. Eventually, he stopped and sighed. "What's taking so long?" He complained, digging his claws into the cold earth. "I'm bored."

"I don't know," Ebonypaw meowed, curling her tail over her paws in an attempt to keep them warm. "Be patient, they can't be much longer."

He sighed. "I hope not." He looked around and twitched his orange striped tail. "Swiftstalker said he'd show me a hunting technique. And he's really good! I want to be like him."

"He is," Ebonypaw agreed. "He's the best hunter in ShadowClan!"

"And Revengeheart is really strong," Flintpaw added eagerly. "We have great mentors."

It was silent for a while. Ebonypaw flicked her ears, listening for the sound of pawsteps, but there was nothing.

Flintpaw yawned and flopped down, rolling onto his back. "If they don't arrive soon, let's go back to camp and sleep!" He purred, looking up at his sister.

She shot her brother an amused look. "Revengeheart and Swiftstalker wouldn't be happy!"

Flintpaw rolled his eyes. "You're too good an apprentice." Suddenly, a rustling sounded from some bushes nearby. He perked up and jumped to his paws. "About time!" He exclaimed.

Ebonypaw purred and stood, raising her tail happily. But her joy snapped away when the cats leaped out of the bushes, yowling and snarling. Terror struck her quick and sharply like a bolt of lightning. It wasn't Revengeheart and Swiftstalker, but four toms she'd never seen before.

Before she had time to react, an orange and black tom slammed into her, knocking her off her paws and throwing her to the ground. "Ha!" He sneered as she gasped in alarm. "Didn't expect us, did you?"

Her heart sprinted in terror, and for a moment, she was paralyzed by fear. I've never fought a real enemy before! She heard Flintpaw yowl as he was attacked, and she started to look in his direction when the tom swung down and slashed his claws at her face. She let out a wail of pain and snapped to her senses. Remember your training! She raised a forepaw to deliver the front paw blow, but a white and brown patched tom lunged at her and bit down on her foreleg while the other cat clawed at her belly. "Stop!" She screeched in terror, desperately pummeling her hind paws at the black and orange cat's stomach, but he wouldn't budge. They're fully grown, and I'm only an apprentice!