Chapter Seven: Oh No

I don't even have to ask what she means when she says please. The desperation is clearly outlined in her every feature. She wants it gone, out of their lives. Magic has caused her family enough pain. I nod quickly and she lets me go; white hand prints mark my skin where she held me. Her body sags back into nothingness and her eyes dull again. I wish there was something more to do for her but I focus on the flush of adrenaline coursing through my body.

There's more magic around and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Sure, I probably shouldn't be so excited about handling another magical item. Especially one that has already cost one man his life but I'm already dead if I'm found out. I've got the Princess at my side and a stolen grimoire, what's one more broken law?

Harry had managed to procure two magical items from this West End Witch who I'd never even heard of before. She can't be that big of a secret if Harry had found her. Who is she and where is she? At least we have some direction for the next step in our journey. Val is going to be looking to me for what to do and honestly, I have no idea.

Harry and Kate's bedroom is on the first floor of the house, as opposed to all their children's rooms being on the second floor. Grant and Val follow behind me down the long hallway wordlessly; the pain radiating in this house must have finally shut Grant up. Their door is cracked open, just a sliver of light peeking through. With a deep breath I push the door open.

Pillows and blankets are strewn about the unmade bed. One pillow with a shirt wrapped around it is lying on the bed as though someone had clutched it throughout the night. No doubt it was Harry's pillow, poor Kate. Other than the bed the room is immaculate.

"There's something in here, isn't there?" Grant asks with a shudder. "I can feel something, can't you?"

I don't answer as I gingerly probe the floorboards with the tip of my shoe until one squeaks and I smile. Bingo. On my hands and knees I pry a small board up revealing a small bundle of cloth. The tingling sensation that Grant mentioned intensifies. While the hiding spot is smart, there is no way that a royal knight would not have felt the magic in this room. If we can feel it, a knight definitely could.

Taking great care not to drop the item I slowly uncoil the fabric revealing two shining daggers resting on top of two old fashioned leather straps. The handles are short, engraved with some kind of language I can't read. The blades are long, coming to a thin sharp point. Dangerous. Deadly.

"It's a weapon!" Grant half-shouts, half whispers falling over me in panic. "What the hell are we going to do with those?"

Once again no one answers him. We don't really have a need for a weapon, do we? At least no yet, perhaps they will come in handy at some point. I wonder what they do; the knight's weapons have all sorts of magical powers, from blasting fireballs at people, to never missing their target. Why would Harry have gotten a weapon from the west end witch? I can't imagine him ever trying to fight with them. It doesn't make any sense.

"Let's see what they can do." Val snatches the blades up as Grant and I jump back, waiting for the daggers to explode but of course nothing happens. I feel rather silly, it would be stupid to enchant the blades to explode the minute anyone touches them. You could do that with something a little less valuable.

"Who said you get to use them?" Grant demands grabbing one of the daggers out of Val's hands no longer afraid of them. I can almost read his mind. If a girl can touch them, surely he can. As he brings it up to his face to get a closer look at the engravings the dagger disappears. What the hell?

"Apparently, they do." Val whispers in awe as she holds both of the daggers once more. She tosses one of the blades towards the wall clumsily, not quite looking like the warrior she thinks she is but more like a rebellious teenage girl. Her aim is terrible but it embeds itself in the wall before once again popping back into her hand.

She tries it again; missing the door she was aiming for instead hitting the wall to the right just above the floor and behold the dagger is once again in her hand. The daggers seem to be charmed to embed themselves, and then return to their owner, but it looks like they still require some sort of skill. Which Val does not have.

"They are coming." Lucy stands in the doorway her voice is trembling with a fear that can only have one source. The Royal Guard is here; I didn't expect them to show up so quickly, honestly I didn't really expect them to show up at all. "Follow me."

Grant's eyebrows are lined with worry; one hand is placed on Val's back propelling her forward. Val tucks the blades into her bag quickly as she stumbles down the hall. I am last in line as Lucy leads us down a couple of hallways to a door that I've never seen before. She expertly unlocks multiple latches and locks and opens it to dark tunnel ushering us through.

"Aren't you coming with us?" Val is unwilling to leave anyone behind but I know that they won't flee. Not now when they know that we have the magical blades.

Lucy shakes her head. "No. Tori thinks that they won't hurt us now that we have nothing left to hide. Follow the tunnel to a barn and you'll be able to get home from there." She explains and then she shuts the door leaving us in complete darkness. Her footsteps fade away and we are on our own.

When my eyes finally adjust I start dragging the other two along; if we get caught down here we are toast. That's when the screams start. I see a streak of blonde move and small thump as Grant catches her. Thank goodness for Grant, I can't move. It's like a spell has been cast on me and my feet are frozen to the ground.

One scream erupts into multiple screams until all at once the screams stop. And I'm sure their all dead.

A little shorter, but it has to be cut here.

What do you think of the blades? And what do you think of the fact they seem to be attached to Val?

I hope you enjoyed, if you did a vote would make our day!

See you soon.

-Charlee