Chapter 62 - The Family Dinner

Start from the beginning

"That's not it," I mutter.

Dad frowns. Michael chuckles.

"Oh." Dad's arms drop away from me. "What is it, then?"

The doorbell cuts me off before I can say anything. Dad takes a step towards it.

I bulldoze past him. "I've got it." I run down the hall, stepping over stray legos. Dad follows me. I shoo him away with one hand, throwing the door open with the other. My face falls when I see who it is.

"Who's that?" Dad asks.

"Just Onai." I frown.

Onai cocks his head back.

"Oh. Hello." Dad walks back towards the kitchen. Perceived threat not present.

Onai leans over to pull his shoes off, muttering to himself. "Just Onai." He gives me a look.

I try not to laugh. "You know I didn't mean it like that."

"Mhm."

I wait for him as he pulls the other shoe off. I try not to remember earlier. The sound. The scream. The extraction. "How's your mouth?" I ask.

He shrugs. I frown. That's not good.

"Think I can get through this without eating anything?" he asks.

I shake my head. "My mom'll panic."

"Panic?" he asks.

"She'll keep trying to cook you things."

Horror flashes through his brown eyes just as Michael rounds the corner.

"Did it grow back yet?" Michael asks.

Onai's eyes stay in that horrified state as they flash to Michael. Michael raises an eyebrow. I look away.

Suddenly, Megan comes down the steps, afro fluffed, cute pink top on. She walks down the steps gingerly, batting her eyes. Her brown eyes slide to Onai. Then they look all around him. She frowns.

"Is it... just you today?" she asks.

Onai blinks. "Yeah. For now."

Her frown deepens. She sighs, going back up the stairs. "Oh. I'm gonna change, then."

Onai cocks his head back for the second time today. Poor guy.

Two knocks hit the door. This time, I know it's the brothers. I reach to open it, but Dad barrels down the hall. "Don't!"

Oml. I step out of his way. He stands tall, pulling the door open. "Cars..." He falters.

Carson walks in, smirk on his face. "Pops."

Dad looks at him for a second, but then he stares at the two figures behind Carson. "You didn't say you were bringing your brothers."

Brothers. Like clockwork, Mom flies out of the kitchen. When she sees Aiden and Axel, she gasps, covering her mouth. Aiden averts his eyes.

Charlie trails into the hall after Mom. His little brown eyes light up when he sees Axel. "Can we fix another window?"

Mom gawks at Axel. "Have you no shame?" She braces herself on the wall, back falling against the sunset orange paint.

Dad looks at her. "What?"

I wave my hand in front of my neck, willing her not to say anything.

She gives me the most disappointed look. Then, she turns to Dad. "Nothing, dear." She narrows her eyes at Axel, not Aiden. "It's just nice to meet everyone again. At a decent time."