CHAPTER 11

I'm on edge. 

I tried to keep myself busy during the past two weeks, just knowing that that annoying woman is currently roaming the streets of New York, is enough to have me in a jittery state. And if that isn't enough, I have no idea what to say to Riya after what happened that night. I haven't even been to the office since then, and I think she caught on to the fact that I needed some space, as she hasn't visited since. 

That's alright though, her being out of sight gives me enough time to thoroughly think about what to say the next time I see her; which could be in the next three minutes or so. Leo being his usual self, has been keeping tabs on my attendance, screening the CEO's calls didn't do much good, as he flooded my work email with angry messages. It doesn't even make any sense for me to remind him that my work hours are actually flexible, somewhere in that thick head of his, is a vision of me running this company. 

"...Mr. Palmer, I had no idea you were coming today..."

I sighed deeply as I looked at Neil, his purple velvet suit caught my eye, and once again I found myself wondering where in the world he buys his clothes. 

"I'm only staying for two hours," I turned around in hopes of finding any sign of Riya, "any messages?"

The shuffling of papers brought my attention back to the secretary. 

"Mr. Marshall sent a complimentary note, for the work the team has been doing with the Samsung collaboration project..."

I rolled my eyes, "...CEO Palmer says, and I quote, 'if Michael doesn't show up for work today, I'll inform HR to dock his pay'..."

I groaned softly, "remind me to go see him before I leave."

Neil nod his head as he made a note of my instructions. 

"Oh, you have a visitor in your office," I raised my eyebrows, "she was here last week as well."

I blinked a few times, "when Miss Kim returns from wherever she is, tell her to not leave her office."

I instantly knew who this visitor is, I also know that there isn't anything of importance that she has to say to me, I thought she would've taken my advice and move on. Everything about Mrs. Doyle was bad for me; she could somehow sense that I was having a hard time back then, and instead of trying to help me, she played into my vices and used me. Like the idiot that I can be at times, I let myself be used as I drowned away my sorrows with bottles of alcohol. 

"Mrs Doyle..."

She turned away from the floor-to-ceiling windows with a bright smile on her face, I my stare hardened as the middle-aged woman approached me, her dimpled cheeks stood prominent as she paused a few feet away from me. 

"Michael Eaton," she sighed deeply as she looked around the office, "you've done well for yourself."

The strong scent of her expensive perfume surrounded us, and as it became too much for me to take, I quickly moved towards my desk and chair. 

"Why are you here? In New York?"

She smiled softly at the questions then sat herself down on a chair before me. 

"I came to a conference, a colleague of mine invited me to that gala, and to my surprise," she clapped her hands, "there you were!"

I nod my head, "I see," I sighed deeply, "so why have you come to my office?"

She shot me a look, "to visit one of my past-stellar student of course."

She leaned forward, and in doing so, exposed her cleavage.