Part 1 Chapter 8

They stayed an extra two days due to the simple fact that no one wanted to leave, but finally bags were packed and carriages assembled. Rowand Alyn and his family sent Lani away with more baby gifts than they could fit in the cargo, as a result there were blankets and knitted toys stuffed into every available space in the convoy, including saddlebags and satchels.

Rowand and Tollredd grasped forearms before the former pulled the latter into a rough hug.

"The next time I see you, Toll, you will be someone's father."

"I will need your advice."

"You will, but as you will be my king, surely you cannot deign to take it."

"Insolence," Tollredd muttered, releasing Rowand with a smile.

"It's been a pleasure. I look forward to seeing you again at the coronation," said Lani, quickly grasping Alaina's hand. The girl, ever poised, dipped a curtsey and inclined her head. Rowand stood next to his daughter and offered a smile.

"We are glad to know you, Lannaigh Reddvayne."

"And I you and your family, Lord Alyn."

Tollredd handed her into the carriage and jumped in beside her, giving a small wave to the gathered crowd. As Rahn rode up beside the carriage Rowand waved him over.

"You are a good shadow, Rahn."

"You are a good friend, my lord," Rahn replied, his hint of amusement almost concealed. Wheeling the horse around, he returned to his place next to the king's carriage, watching.

The first family of Ollo watched the royal party until all they could see were dots in the distance, then Rowand ushered his family back into the manor.

"I like them, Papa," said Alaina as they hastened inside to the warmth.

"I'm glad, love. So do I," replied Rowand, already anticipating his visit for Tollredd's coronation, and how glad he was that his friend's wife was someone he could love.

* * * * * * *

The journey home was uneventful, save that Lani grew more uncomfortable each day they bounced along in the carriage. When the castle finally appeared in the distance, Lani could have wept. She longed to sleep in her own bed, and to spend entire afternoons sitting in the parlor, unmoving.

The castle looked resplendent against the red-orange backdrop of the autumn mountain. When Tollredd could no longer stand it he requested a horse, and Lani watched as he, Rahn, and a number of others from their party rode ahead to the gate. She smiled at the sight of her husband – tall, broad-shouldered, with too-long red hair (though his beard was carefully trimmed at her request). He was magnificent on horseback, and as her heart swelled with pride she gently pressed against her belly.

"That is your father, my little love," she said aloud in the empty carriage. "You will be a bear, like him."

When the carriage rattled through the gates and into the courtyard, the royal family had gathered to greet them, as well as a number of villagers and members of the household staff. Tollredd had his nephew Envo around his shoulders, squirming and laughing, though Corwyn stood solemnly next to his mother. Fennis leaned against the doorway, bleary-eyed and red-faced, while Wothe and Ravinia waited patiently on the porch. Tollredd deposited his nephew at Raevan's foot – Envo was a brighter, more social child than Corwyn – and strode over to the carriage to hand down his wife. Lani took his hand, meeting his blue gaze with joy as she stepped onto the castle ground for the first time in eight months. She waved, beaming, and the crowd gasped and cheered when they realized their queen was with child.