Part 1 Chapter 6

Lani trudged up the hill toward the carriages, wishing her stomach would settle. She had dreaded Raevan's return – though she could not quite determine why, besides the fact that Raevan disliked her. The sensation in her body was close to panic – sweat dampened her palms and she felt a little lightheaded. In her brother's court there had been plenty of people who didn't like her, up to and including her brother himself, and she was still able to maintain a detached demeanor. But her husband's sister?

That girl scared her.

Lani was among the throngs of people who'd abandoned the garden to catch a glimpse of the princess's return, and she found it comforting to blend into a group. Standing near the back, she watched as Tollredd and Wothe came out to greet the caravan, eliciting a dull cheer from the assembly. Ravinia could barely contain herself, it was obvious she had missed her daughter dreadfully, and she struggled to stand still next to her husband. Lani began to push through the crowd to stand with the family, but at that moment Fennis erupted from the carriage, pink-faced and disheveled.

Were it not for the footman who caught him by the shoulders he would have fallen flat on his face. The crowd made a sound somewhere in between a gasp and a moan. He gave a cursory wave and reeled toward the castle taking big, weaving steps. Fennis did not turn to hand down his wife from the carriage, and would have continued into the castle had Tollredd not blocked his way and physically turned him around. When it was clear that Fennis would not be able to make it back, Tollredd gestured for the footman to hand down Raevan. For a moment the man was too astonished to move, but he quickly recovered and shot over to the carriage, opening the door with much ceremony. He held up a gloved hand and Raevan took it, her pale skin almost indistinguishable against the crisp white glove.

Raevan stepped out of the carriage in a long maroon cape, her red hair braided simply down her back, fresh-faced and beautiful. She smiled and waved at the crowd, whipping her cape behind her to excited gasps and near-deafening cheers.

Unmistakable against her slim frame was a protruding belly, straining against the cloth of her traveling dress, upon which one of her hands rested protectively.

As Ravinia rushed to her daughter, arms akimbo and wailing with joy, Raevan's blue eyes found Lani in the back of the crowd and her red lips curved up into a cold smile.

* * * * * * *

For as much as Raevan had avoided Lani before she left on her wedding trip, now it seemed that everywhere Lani went, there was Raevan.

In repose on the chaise lounge in the parlor, paused because of an especially exhilarating kick from the baby.

Sipping lemon and peppermint tea in the kitchen to settle her stomach after a particularly offensive scent had wafted her way, the baby was very sensitive to odors, you know.

Walking the grounds, followed by a violinist, to take air for the baby and create a soothing atmosphere, and, oh, Lannaigh, of course I wish I could help with your little garden, but I'm told a light walk and bed rest will keep the baby sound.

Lani dug into the dirt in earnest and forced herself to smile.

"She's stalking me," she said to Tollredd later as they prepared for dinner.

"I'm sure it's a coincidence. She's just returned home from a long journey, she's taking in the grounds again. Honestly she's happier than I've ever seen her," he replied as he dressed, ever-fearful that something would prompt his beloved wife to withdraw into herself once more.

"Marriage agrees with her?" Lani remarked archly.

"Perhaps," said Tollredd mildly. He had not forgotten the image of Fennis pitching headlong out of the carriage, nor, he suspected, would anyone else who had witnessed the spectacle. Frustrated, Lani threw down the ribbon she'd been trying to weave into her hair.

"I'll call for Ama. I have clumsy fingers today."

Tollredd caught her wrist and pulled her into his chest, resting his chin on the top of her head, dark hair gleaming.

"I don't think you need a ribbon. Your hair is beautiful as it is."

"I don't care what you think. I want the ribbon."

"You had better call Ama then. My ribbon skills are hopelessly rusty."

"Why don't you take me seriously?"

Tollredd sighed and looked down at Lani, whose dark eyes were wide and hurt.

"I'm afraid for you," he blurted out, surprising both himself and his wife. Searching for something to do with his hands, he worried at the thin blue ribbon wilting on the bed.

"Lani, when you were ill I was terrified. I can't bear the thought of you lying in that bed again. I couldn't help you. I didn't—here, let me try."

Tollredd moved to her side and studied the section of hair hanging loose. He gently began to braid the brilliant blue into the dark, wavy tresses.

"I will be king in two years, without my father, and I will need you by my side. Not just for Ursa, but also for me. I did not expect to love you when father told me we would wed, but now I cannot imagine this world without you. If it's what you want, I'll send Raevan away, but I have to wait until I'm king in truth."

He tucked the beribboned braid into the knot gathered at the nape of her neck, a simple style, but it suited her, and she turned to face him, eyes shining with tears.

"Thank you, Toll."

When he gathered her into his arms he had not intended to begin kissing her but somehow he did, and she kissed him back, and the result of these kisses was that they were very late for dinner, but neither of them were much bothered by the withering look they received from Ravinia when they finally entered the hall. Raevan had already begun eating and Fennis had already begun drinking, but Wothe was pleased that his son and daughter-in-law looked so happy, and noticed the blue ribbon plaited carefully into her hair.