ii. gilbert at green gables

as gilbert walked up to green gables, he smiled at the sight he looked up at. anne was standing on the roof near her window, spinning around and laughing. even from the ground, he could see that she had woven wildflowers into her braids. gil chuckled. 

"anne!" he shouted up to her. 

anne quickly whipped around, her face as red as her hair. gilbert waved, beckoning her down. a few minutes later, she appeared at the front door, ushering him inside. hanging up his hat, he followed anne to the small dining area. they sat opposite each other at the table. 

"so," anne began, wiggling her eyebrows at gilbert. He laughed.

"what?"

anne giggled. "who is it? it must be ruby! or perhaps diana? they're both so lovely, i don't think i would ever be able to choose!" 

she glanced over at gilbert, who was staring at her. anne frowned. "at least answer me, gilbert," she fumed. the boy smirked.

"earlier today i was 'blythe' and now I'm 'gilbert'?" he asked, smiling wider as anne blushed. she rolled her eyes at him.

"would you rather i call you 'blythe'? because i'm completely fine with that," she retorted, glaring. gilbert sighed. 

"i can't tell you who it is," he said, sounding more embarrassed than he wanted to. anne clasped her hands together.

"oh, gilbert, you're blushing! it couldn't possibly be... me?" she gasped dramatically, batting her lashes. gilbert was frozen in shock, staring into her eyes. anne turned serious. 

"gil, i-- i was kidding. it was sarcasm. are you okay?" asked anne, her eyes widening. gilbert snapped back to reality. he laughed nervously, trying to play it off as a joke.

"of course i knew. i just..." he trailed off, forgetting his words as he continued to look into anne's blue eyes. she glanced at him skeptically. he cleared his throat.

"so, um, i was thinking i would surprise her with a picnic. what do you think is the most romantic setting? and the food? jeez, i'm so nervous..." said gilbert, turning a shade of pink. anne looked at him, courage in her eyes. 

"not to worry, gilbert. i'll have you know, i've spent many an evening daydreaming about the perfect way that i would want someone to court me. of course... that would never happen," she said, looking down. "i'm too homely for any boy to ever like me." 

gilbert looked up at her, alarmed. 

"surely you must be joking. can't you see that you're beautiful?" he asked. anne slowly tilted her head up, meeting his eyes. her gaze softened.

"no one's ever really called me beautiful before," whispered anne, a shy smile starting to form on her face. gilbert grinned, shaking his head.

"why, anne, of course you are. your smile lights up a room. you have the biggest heart of anyone in avonlea! your stories take people to a different universe, almost. your eyes..." he stopped, getting lost in her deep blue irises. "your eyes are like the deep sea and the starry night sky combined." he smiled, watching her blush even deeper.

"gilbert, you're very sweet, but... my freckles and awful red hair make me look like an ugly old witch," she whispered, a tear dripping down her face. 

gilbert was lost in thought. she must have been told from a very young age that she... that she was worth nothing. how can she believe that? she's worth everything and more.

gilbert took her hands across the table. anne flinched, but let him hold them. 

"anne, your freckles are wondrous. each one is like a little universe, having it's own story of how it came to be. and your hair is red for a reason. red is the color of autumn, the color of roses and pumpkins and sunsets. i think it's marvelous," he said, watching as more tears slipped down anne's face. but this time they were happy.

anne let go of his hands, quickly wiping the flow of tears away. she smiled at Gilbert. 

"thank you." 

gilbert shook his head.

"sometimes all you need is someone to believe in you. then you can start believing in yourself."

hello lovelies! holy sHIt its been almost a YEAR since i updated, but i was going through a lot. i'm starting highschool soon, so i'm so sorry if i don't update. there's going to be a lot of schoolwork and pressure, but you guys help so much! i love you guys!

<3bev<3

word count: 476