Chapter 3: One Wish

Today was the second anniversary since that incident. She needed my presence, but what could I do? I'm only a ghost.

Unseen.

Untouchable.

Intangible.

"Sinabi mo sa akin na tatanda tayong magkasama. Ipapasyal natin yung mga apo natin sa park. We would travel the world together. But I guess those will only be empty words now right?" she frowned at the broken promises, "Sayang love no? Marami pa sana tayong memories. Pero alam ko naman na masaya ka na kung saan ka man ngayon." 

At this point, she has calmed down. With a weak smile, she held up her hands to the air. A diamond ring twinkled as the moon beam shone through its glass texture. A promise ring. Even though we were rather young, I was sure that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

Pero sabi nga ni John Lennon, life happens while you are busy making other plans. Unfortunately, life happened so that it led us to a fate without each other. Kahit anong gawing plano mo sa buhay, kapag hindi ito ang iyong kapalaran, meron at merong mangyayari na hindi mo mahuhulaan. 

In life there is no such thing as a disclaimer, a preview or a caution. Haharapin mo ang mga bagay bagay, whether you like the experience or not. 

My train of thoughts were interrupted by a bright light. Surreal. It was both magnetising and captivating at the same time.

It was... Home

Wala akong alam kung bakit ngayon lang ako uuwi. Pero, alam ko na may kinalaman ito kay Reena. Maybe she came here to finally let go... and that's more than okay. All I wanted was assurance. Na sa pag alis ko, ay magiging panatag na siya, at magiging masaya sa mga darating pang pangyayari sa buhay niya.

Even if that no longer includes me.

"Love, I'll miss you so much", I encircled my hands to her waist. We both couldn't feel it but just for one last time, I wanted to hold her tightly, even if it was one-sided. 

A kiss on her forehead.

A smile on my face. 

Hanggang sa dulo, siya at siya parin talaga ang dahilan kung bakit naging masaya ako sa maikling pamamalagi ko dito. 

But this was it. I had to go. I moved slowly without glancing back. Step by step, I was nearing that great light. Alam ko na kaya na ni Reena. I have to trust her this time. 

"Reena," my voice cracked from the lump that was forming in my throat,

"Paalam."

I was lifted...vanished. 

On my way to become one with the stars, just like I promised her if I ever passed. From there, I was sure to watch over her even in her darkest nights. 

✧・✧・✧・✧

"Miss na miss na kita Drick. Dalawang taon na ang nakalipas pero hindi ko parin matanggap," nasa mountain lookout parin si Reena, nakatingala sa mga bituin.

A shooting star appeared, it was beautiful. Heart warming. She was never one to believe in childhood myths. But this was a rare sight. 

She looked at her wrist watch. 

Somewhat the timing was right. 

As if the stars aligned for this very moment.

September 21, 2018...11:11 p.m. 

"Suntok sa buwan 'to, at wala na akong pake." losing him, meant she'd lost herself too, and if faith was the only way back to genuine happiness, back to him... then so be it.  

Clasping her hands together, she started to whisper a silent prayer as the shooting star passed.

•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•★•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•

Grant me the opportunity, 

To be able see him once more.

As impossible as it may seem,

It's the only wish I'd ever ask.

And if I ever had to pay 

For the price of my request

I'd risk my life... 

I won't even think twice. 

•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•★•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•◌•

✧・✧・✧・✧

The sound of the alarm clock forced Asher to wake up in a jolt. Tumayo siya mula sa kanyang higaan, nagmamaktol nang bigla niyang naisip ang isa na namang mahabang araw na tatahakin niya. He stretched, did his daily devotions and meditated to finish his morning habits. Inabot niya ang kanyang cellphone at nagbabasakaling may text galing kay Reena.

No messages. 

He put the phone back to where it belonged then his eyes widened. Asher grabbed his phone again and dropped his jaw in shock.

Date and Time: July 12, 2014 -- 5:30 a.m.

Flashbacks started to flood his brain. Hindi siya makapaniwala sa mga nangyayari.  

The year of his death: 2016

Current year: 2014

He then looked around once again. It was his house. The mirror that was standing in front of him proved of his existence. 

Bumilis ang pagtibok ng puso niya at nagising siya sa katotohanang... buhay siya.

Buhay pa siya. 

Buhay pa si Asher Frederick Romeo. 

✧・✧・✧・✧

╭⋟───────────*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*───────────╮

Be careful what you wish for...for you may receive it.

~W. W. Jacobs~

╰───────────*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*──────────⋞╯

✧・✧・✧・✧