He doesn't respond, he just pulls me inside of a restaurant. The host seats us and then the waitress comes. He orders drinks for both of us, and then the waitress walks away and we're left alone.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on." I murmur, picking at my nail polish.

I can feel his eyes analyzing me like a study guide.

"Okay, well are you alright?"

"Yup, I'm great." I look at him and fake a smile, because I just really don't want to discuss it.

To my surprise, he stands up.

I look at him, startled.

He crouches down beside me, holding my hand with his right one and resting his left hand on my thigh.

"I'm going to say something that I told you a really long time ago because I think you need to hear it," he says gently, "it's okay to not be okay, and it's okay to have help. It's okay to be comforted and it's okay to crave comfort. We are imperfect human beings, Katherine. You don't have to be okay all the time."

My mind drifts back to the first time he told me that, when I stupidly blurted the truth of my abortion.

He knew I lied when I said I was kidding.

That day changed me.

My mouth opens and closes a few times and so much love for him overwhelms me.

"I'm sorry I took off." I whisper. "You deserve an explanation."

He sighs slowly and straightens up, sitting back down across from me.

"I forgive you. Now please tell me what's going on. We're married, which means that your battles are my battles."

I open my mouth to tell him, but the waitress comes back with our drinks.

"Are you guys ready to order?" she asks.

"Can you give us a couple more minutes please?" Josh asks politely.

"Sure."

She walks off, leaving us alone.

He raises his eyebrows and gestures for me to continue.

"My mother showed up at my work yesterday." I tell him.

His eyebrows shoot up.

"What? Why?"
"To accuse me in front of everybody of avoiding her. My employees were there. My customers were there. She tried to start a fight with me in front of everyone. Do you know how bad that makes me look?"

"Why would she do that? What the hell is wrong with her?"

"I don't know, but it doesn't matter now." I say. "I took her up to my office and told her she needs to stay away from you and I, and the kids. I know I've been putting it off, but now she's not only affecting our family, but my company, too? It's not okay."

He nods slowly. "So what's the problem then?"

"The problem is that, even though she is no longer an issue, how is this going to affect Liam? And Claire? What about holidays? How on earth am I going to be able to have holidays without her being allowed to be there? What about the kids? And the nieces and nephews? I just don't want anybody to be upset during the holiday, especially at the expense of my happiness. I'm worried me shunning her basically hurt everyone more than it helped."

"I really don't think that's the case." he says softly. "And I don't think you need to worry about it."
"Well I have to worry about it. God, I'm stressed out, Josh. And I didn't want to come home because I knew if I did I would start crying. I didn't want to worry you, and by not coming home I ended up worrying you more. I'm sorry."