Chapter 6: Dream On

Start from the beginning

'' Told you.'' I said while I went back to the room, closed the door and plopped on the bed .

Jonesy's POV

I looked under the bed, carefully, and indeed there was Jimmy. I sighed. Jimmy was an easy person to live with, but when he drank too much and went on a wild rampage he tended to create chaos. I'd been meaning to ask him for a joint when I noticed that he wasn't there, and as I didn't want to wake Bonzo, or Peter, I could only tell Robert. I found a half-empty carton of cigarettes besides Jimmy's foot and took it. It was filled with joints and I smiled. I pulled one to my mouth and lit it. I went back to my room, humming merrily under my breath.

Citlali's POV

The clothes I had taken were perfect for me. I had grabbed a pair of plaid pants and a carrot colored knit sweater. The pants were a little long though, so I rolled them up a bit. The sweater was warm and smelt like musk. I brushed my hair back and fluffed it out so it would dry. I took a few breaths again and opened the door, ready to face Robert and whatever else was waiting for me.

Robert's POV

I heard the door of the bathroom open and I opened my eyes to find Citlali standing there, a scared look on her face while she looked at me. She was wearing one of Bonzo's sweaters and Jimmy's pants. I wonder where she got those from.

'' Good morning, lo...Cit'' I said, remembering that she didn't particularly like being called love.

'' Hi. Robert.'' she said hesitantly

''Sleep well?'' I asked and she nodded. She scratched her head and said : '' Did you?''

'' Absolutely.'' I said. She walked up to the bed, very slowly like she was measuring every step she took and she sat on the edge of the bed, not facing me.

'' Did .. Well... Me... You...'' she said, not knowing how to start the question.

'' You can ask me anything.'' I said

''Well, did we...'' she left the sentence hanging, and I was about to answer when I saw her take Les Miserables from the beside table. I automically took a step towards her, wanting to snatch the book from her hands. I was very fond of my books and I absolutely hated when someone would crack the spine or bend the pages, so I never let anyone borrow or hold my books. But, she surprised me by holding it lightly, flipping through the pages carefully and smoothing the corners of a bent page, she knew about books, the way she treated them made that obvious.

'' Cosette.'' she whispered and I smiled.

''You've read it before?'' I asked, inching closer to her.

'' Of course.'' she said.

'' Don't tell me how it ends though.'' I begged trying to make her laugh a little. '' And no, we didn't.''

She nodded woodenly and I saw her sigh in relief.

''What else do you like to read?'' I asked, curious about this bird. She wasn't the usual, i'm daft as a donkey kind of bird.

''Kafka.'' I snorted. The Trial had exasperated me so much I hadn't been able to finish it.

'' What?'' she asked, amused.

''Nothing, nothing.''

''What do you like to read, Jean Valjean?'' she said, her smile warming up my heart.

'' I like Cyrano de Bergerac.'' I said, playing with my hair.

'' You like French litterature, then.'' she said

''Yes.'' I said, sitting even closer to her, her face so close that I could see her freckles.

'' PERCY WAKE UP.'' yelled Jimmy's voice from the door and Citlali pulled away from me, sitting as far from me as she could.

I groaned and opened the door, to find Jimmy wearing a towel around his waist, his wet curls plastered on the sides of his head.

'' Did you take my favorite plaid pants?'' he said angrily, his nostrils flaring.

'' Of course not. I don't even like them.'' I said, towering over him a little.

''Then who took them?'' he said, the anger fading from his voice.

'' I did.'' said a shy voice from behind me and I turned to see Citlali, blushing widely. '' I'm sorry, I found them on the chair and I didn't have any clothes and...'' she stopped talking, biting her lip.

''It's fine.'' said Jimmy, softening up. His attitude change surprised me. '' I see you're still here.'' he told her meeting my gaze for a second and shifting it back to her again.

'' We're having breakfast in my room in ten minutes.'' he announced, looking at me, and he left. Had I really seen a hint of jealousy in his eyes?

'' I'm sorry I caused you trouble.'' she said from behind me, as she placed a hand lightly on my shoulder. '' I should be going home.'' she said while she opened the door.

''You could stay.'' I called after her as she was about to press the button for the elevator. She turned around, surprised

'' You want me to stay?''

'' Yes.''

'' Why?''

'' I don't actually know. I'd really like to get to know you better. I feel a strange attraction and connection with you.''

'' And you don't want to just 'shag' me?'' she said sarcastically faking an accent.

'' No.'' I snapped.

''Robert, there you are. We're eating in Jimmy's room, are you coming? '' said the voice of Peter from the back of the hall.

'' I'm coming in a second, wait.'' I said, facing Citlali again, but she surprised me by passing me by and entering Jimmy's room without a word.

Citlali's POV

Robert was weird. He was really strange. He looked so confident on stage, funny, happy, handsome. But, when he talked to me, he was hesitant, shy, still handsome and still happy but very shy. I sighed. I could stay for a while, right?