fifteen

johnny walks into the changing room for the second time today. he's sweaty and feels gross and but had one hell of a practice today. his team mates slap his shoulder playfully as they praise him whilst walking past.

       "good practice today boys, let's see if we can do what we did today on friday" their coaches voice booms as he walks to his office. "oh and orlando!".

      johnny's head snaps towards the man quickly, eyes widening as he nods. "yes coach?".

       "you made me proud today, keep up the good work boy" he smiles, only momentarily.

     johnny grins, nodding his head. "yes sir".

    after showering and getting changed into fresh clean clothes, johnny grabs his bag and heads out of the changing room, making his way out to the parking lot.

      "yo john, coming to my place?" carson asks, he and hayden walking towards his car. johnny makes his lips form a straight line.

      "sorry boys not tonight, gotta help kenz with some research paper" he shrugs, fetching his own car keys.

      "okay dude but just so you know, you're totally whipped" hayden laughs loudly. carson joins in too.

     "maybe i am" johnny replies with a shrug before getting in the jeep and driving off to mackenzie's house. he stops at a traffic light his fingers drumming on the steering wheel as no control plays through his radio. if kenzie were to know he secretly listens to one direction when she's not around, he'd never hear the end of it.

      johnny turns down the radio as he drives up mackenzie's driveway, putting the car in park before turning it off and getting out. he grabs his bag before walking inside. mackenzie told him not to knock earlier so he didn't.

       "kenz? it's me" he calls, making sure she knows he's arrived. seconds later, kenzie comes out of the kitchen, a glowing smile on her face.

        "are you hungry? because i made dinner but i made too much and there's plenty of left overs if you want some" she rambles. johnny smiles, he finds it cute when she rambles.

       "sure okay" he agrees, dropping his bag at the stairs and joining mackenzie in the kitchen. maliboo doesn't bark when she sees johnny but instead almost pees herself with excitement.

      the smell of italian food makes johnny feel like he's at home. his dad is always cooking, their home always having a strong smell of delicious food.

     he takes a seat at the table, across from where mackenzie's plate is. it's filled with pasta and sauce and parmesan cheese sprinkled lightly on top. johnny glances over at mackenzie who's making him up a plate, it looks really good and he can't wait to eat. he's starving, especially after practice.

       "okay, here we go" she smiles, handing the boy the plate of pasta. he smiles gratefully, taking the warm plate.

      "this looks amazing kenz, thank you".

       she shrugs her shoulders, brushing off his compliment. mackenzie used to cook all the time when she was younger. he mom taught her but because she's always alone nowadays, there's not much point to cook fancy meals for one. that's why she's glad that johnny is here.

      "how was practice?" she asks, making conversation, although there's never an awkward silence between them.

     "pretty good actually, was probably one of my best" he smiles. it warms mackenzie's heart to see him happy. she's glad that he's proud of himself. she's proud of him too.

       "so, haven't seen much of sage lately, did something happen with you two?" johnny asks. he's worried about her friendship with sage. sure at first he was a little (a lot) threatened by it but sage makes mackenzie happy and that's all he ever wants,
for her to be happy.

     their views on each other have completely changed since they've been hanging out more and getting to know each other. not the stereotypical side they used to know. mackenzie has seen more to johnny than his asshole popular side that only cares about football and girls and johnny has been, on more than one occasion, mesmerised whenever mackenzie talks about something related to science or the world in general. she's really smart. like so smart it blows him away.

      a sad smile replaces the genuine one mackenzie wore before johnny asked the question. she misses sage but every time she tries to reach out to him, he ignores her. 

      "hey" johnny's voice brings her out of her daze. she looks up to see his emerald green eyes shinning into her plain brown ones.  "he will come around, he'd be stupid not to" he says and it feels genuine and sincere enough for mackenzie to actually believe it.

        "you know, you're a pretty good fake boyfriend orlando" she giggles, collecting their now empty plates.

      "oh yeah?" he asks, a smirk finding its way onto his lips. "you're not the worst fake girlfriend either".

    mackenzie gasps, playfully hitting him with a dish towel. johnny stands up from his seat immediately, grabbing the other dish towel that sits on the stove. he whips her shoulder with it, causing her to squeal as she tries to run around the island, hitting him every chance she gets.

      johnny jumps over the island when he's had enough of her whacking him and grabs her by the waist, her back pressing against his chest, laughter and playful screams filling the kitchen. johnny lifts mackenzie up, spinning her around. she throws her head back in laughter, feeling her side hurt from laughing too much.

     she feels herself being seated on top of the island, her legs spread apart slightly with johnny standing in between, both of them catching their breathes as the laughter dies down.

      mackenzie's cheeks start to blush when she notices how close she and johnny's faces are. he seems to notice this too but uses it to his own advantage. her eyes watch as his tongue licks his lips, his eyes never leaving her own lips. she gulps a little, feeling a burning sensation in the pit of her stomach as she takes the lead and leans in closer, her lips brushing against johnny's.

     they're both surprised that she made the first move, mackenzie pulling back a little to look into his eyes.

     "kenz?" johnny asks, his voice low and strained.

      she nods, "yes john?".

      "can i kiss you?". his hand cups her right cheek softly.

    "yes john. you can kiss me"she smiles.

     and without hesitation, his lips are on hers, a gentle but passionate kiss is soon in morion. their tongues meeting once again, welcoming each other with open arms. johnny puts his hands on her tiny waist while she wraps her hands around his neck, pulling him closer to her.

     neither of them expected this to happen. but they both wanted it to.

________________________________________________________________________
grool 😎