CHAPTER 3: TORN

This is a short one

This is a short one.

We grow as we move further in sha Allah. 

***

When Mubarak saw Sa'ima again, staying away was the last thing he wanted to do. He approached her, caging her right in his mother's domain. First in his sister's room then at the firm, he hadn't slept much that night. When next he saw her, he had lost himself and he just wanted to take her out of his head and out of his system.

Why was he finding such a single act so much difficult to do?Maybe it was because he still had a chance with her? He knew it was not too late for her to leave his brother. He had looked it up, according to the shari'ah, she wouldn't be off limits to him, if his brother released her. He knew his brother was just being kind to her, he couldn't have started loving her in just a few weeks.

She could come to an agreement with Bilaal and he would release her honourably, he saw it in her eyes, that evening when he came into the house and found them preparing dinner with Hajiya and his sister Wafiya, she was as aware of him as he was of her, yes he saw fear too, but he understood it must be from the guilt of still having feelings for him while she was married to his brother. But he told her to talk to Bilaal, if only she had done so, this would all be over. 

He knew they would be okay. 

Mubarak stood at the kitchen doorway, partially leaning on the mahogany that framed the entrance as he watched her do everything with arresting precision, how she measured the mayonnaise from the jar, into a bowl, added a squeeze of lemon to it, sprinkled some salt, and a crush of black pepper. Every movement of hers synched with a feeling within him, subtle, squeezing, fierce, crushing and undulating... a deep feeling, enough for him to make her see reason. 

He still remembered the phone call he got from her father on their wedding eve.  And as he watched her now it ached a lot, not being able to relate everything to her. 

He had started losing it during the past few days that he had been back in London, at some point he felt like losing it all. Scratch that, he was losing it all now.

Mubarak continued to watch as Sa'ima transferred the salad dressing into a container, she moved to the refrigerator, her red veil deftly covering her head, trailing after her. She looked so angelic, pure, innocent making his heart hitch in his chest. So he moved, covering the tormenting distance between them. When she closed the refrigerator door he was standing next to her, immediately making her eyes dilate with fear. He hated that he put that in her. He wanted to touch her so bad it hurt. 

The container she held dropped to the floor and she quickly averted her eyes to the mess. He saw the slight tremble of her jaw before she scrambled to pick it up. Leaning on the counter beside him to brace himself Mubarak watched her, giving her time to calm down. He didn't want to put her in a fix. Why was she so scared of him?