Chapter 3

Abhijeet reached the crime scene with Jatin. Dinesh and other officers were searching the area while the forensic doctor was examining the body. Asking Jatin to stand far away, Abhijeet went near the dead body. 

"What do you think, Dr Tarika?" asked Abhijeet. The forensic doctor looked at him and replied, "Death because of stabbing."

Abhijeet looked down at the body while Dr Tarika continued, "I think she was killed somewhere else. There is no blood here." Abhijeet nodded. He looked at the head of the old lady as Tarika raised it. "She was hit on the back of the head with some heavy object. I guess the killer wanted her to be unconscious before killing her."

Abhijeet nodded and said, "You take the corpse to the forensic lab. Inform me if you find anything." Tarika nodded and the body was taken away. 

Abhijeet walked to Dinesh and asked, "Did you find anything?" Dinesh replied, "We found a gent's watch. Nothing else." He showed the watch to Abhijeet. Looking at it, the ACP said, "It doesn't look very costly. I don't think it belongs to Mr Yakshit or Mr Jatin.

The officers moved to Jatin and showed him the watch. Jatin exclaimed, "This is Ramesh Kaka's watch." Seeing the look on the officers' face, he continued, "No. He could not have done this. He has been in the family for almost twenty-five years." Dinesh stated, "It is our job to suspect everyone." Jatin sighed. 

Abhijeet spoke strictly, "I am secluding this area and I don't want anyone to disturb anything here. And I am taking away the watch. We will soon come again for investigation." Jatin nodded and the officers left.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

Police Headquarters

Abhijeet was sitting in his cabin, when Dinesh entered with Vishal Singh and Ajeet Rathore. They were two of the few leading names in field of Interior Designing. 

Taking their seats in front of the ACP, Vishal asked, "Why have we been called here?" Abhijeet asked in return, "Do you know Mr Yakshit Verma?" Ajeet answered in positive. "His mother was found dead this morning," said the ACP. He relaxed on his chair to see the effect of his words on them, which was instant. The colour drained from their faces. After a minute or so, Ajeet asked, "What do we have to do with that?

Abhijeet smiled and said, "You threatened him yesterday that you will take away from him, his most precious thing. And today his mother is no more. Isn't it surprising?

Vishal asked arrogantly, "Are you suspecting us? Do you know who we are?" Abhijeet replied, "You are the suspects of the case I am working on. Or maybe murderers." Ajeet spoke, anger evident in his voice, "If you value your job....." Abhijeet showed him his hand and then said sternly, "You both will not leave the city till the investigation gets over. I will meet you when the postmortem report comes. You may leave.

Ajeet and Vishal glared him but leave. Dinesh took the chair in front of Abhijeet and asked, "Why did you let them go, sir? They have many a times threatened Mr Yakshit Verma. We should interrogated them.

Abhijeet took a deep breathe and asked, "Do you know the meaning of Indali?" Dinesh shook his head. Abhijeet said, "It means powerful. Mrs Indali Verma held the position of power in the family. The family members. They are hiding something. There is much more to this case than is visible. Let's wait for the autopsy report."

Dinesh nodded. 

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

"I have a million dollar news for you. You know Aalayam? Yes, the house of Vermas. Indali Verma, the head of the family has been murdered," spoke someone on phone. 

__________________________________

So, how is it?