Chapter 2: Welcome to Hell

I rush down the stairs and grab a granola bar from the counter before entering the living room. I watch my mother attempt to reach the button to raise her bed. When she notices me standing in the doorway, she waves me over.

"Ivory, honey, can you hit that button? My show's on." I press the button. "Thanks dear."

"No problem, ma."

I pull on my bag that was previously laying on the couch before reaching over to kiss her on the cheek.

"I'm leaving now. I'll be back around three, okay?"

"Okay. By the way, Helen will be here after school to bring my pills over. If I'm asleep, you better behave. If she tells me otherwise, you can kiss your iPod goodbye."

"I know, ma, you tell me the same thing every day. I'm a calm human being, there's really no need to remind me every day. However, I would recommend you tell Josh. That boy is a slob." I groan.

"There is nothing wrong with your brother." She scoffs. "Now, get to school. We can't have you being late."

"Bye, ma." I chuckle.

I unlock the door to my chevy, throwing my bag into the passenger seat. I start it up, turn on my music, and begin the treacherous drive to school.

*****

"Hey, Mar. Check me in, please." I smile at the attendance lady.

"Sure, dear. Hows your mom doing today?" She asks.

"She's well." I pluck the sheet of paper from her hand and give her a parting wave before heading to the stairwell.

With my iPod out of my bag, I plug in my headphones and blast music. Grabbing my textbook, I decide to finish the homework for third period.

Suddenly, the door beside me swings open and Kennedy stumbles out. She looks at me with a panicked expression for a moment, before calming down slightly. She gives me a slight smile before continuing on her way. I examine the leg that she had run into, and find a small scrape. Oh well.

I stand again, not wanting to risk getting another cut before second period. Collecting all of my things, I open the door to the hall and start walking to the library.

About halfway there, a boy bumps into me. I spin around, and hear him mutter an apology.

"Wait!" I call as he continues walking. "Come back." I say more quietly. He turns around, facing me with a confused expression.

"I'm Ivory. What's your name?"

"I'd like to keep that a mystery. Otherwise it ruins the mystique of the situation." He smirks.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Alright, wise guy, got a nickname?"

"Not normally, but you're hot, so you can call me J."

"Is that an initial?"

"Yep. Whether it's my first or last, however, I'll leave you to ponder."

"Alrighty then. Are you new here?" I ask.

"No shit sherlock." He replies.

"I was just asking, calm your tits." I tease.

"What do you have first period?"

"Spare. Otherwise I'd be in class right now."

"Second?"

"English. What about you?"

"First is a spare, like you, but I have gym second."

"You get to be stinky for the entire day!" I laugh.