2 7 | l i m i t e d

Start from the beginning

She didn't want to be angry with Maddox, she enjoyed the attention she received. She enjoyed his smiles that appeared and disappeared like ghosts. She enjoyed when he brushed her hair away from her face or when he unconsciously intertwined their hands together randomly. She enjoyed it all. She indulged too much in something she knew would walk away sooner or later.

She was just praying that he'd walk away before she ended up falling so in love with him that he'd probably end up crushing her heart in the process.

It was difficult, not asking Maddox to just fall. If only he would just fall and not hold back. Maybe then he'd be more content. He was so hellbent and focused on making sure he didn't let himself indulge in love, that he doesn't realize who's he might be hurting. That's what she was trying to believe. That maybe he wasn't aware. And if he wasn't then she would make him so.

But what if he knew that he hurt her?

That didn't settle well with her. Quite the opposite in fact. She felt like a rag doll waiting to be picked up and comforted before being thrown off to the side once he had enough fun.

Shaking her head and looking back in the mirror at her downtrodden expression, she sighed before straightening her posture and throwing a fake smile at herself.

She would make herself believe it would all be good and well.

"That smile is faker than Malia's face."

Head snapping towards Tiana's even tone, Evelyn quirked an eyebrow up in defense. Tiana rolled her eyes before gesturing for Evelyn to come on the bed. Once close enough, Tiana's hand shot out to pull Evelyn to lay beside her.

"You know he loves you right?"

Evelyn stiffened.

Love? What the hell does Maddox know about love? Does he even know what it feels like to love? Or does he just shield his heart so much?

"Cut the bullshit."

Tiana sighed before rolling over to face Evelyn, "I know it sounds next to impossible, but he's letting himself go. Little by little, he's taking his time and maybe it makes it seem as if he's not actually giving in, but he is. Evelyn I promise he is. Just don't give up on him so soon. He needs to know you're there and once that's clear in his mind, he'll fall fast."

Evelyn knew it wouldn't be so easy.

She had always known and she always reminded herself it would take heaven and hell to make a relationship work. Yet the first one she's even been in and all the sudden she had the thought that it would be smooth sailing.

Did she not learn from the relationship between her parents?

She knew it would take time to coax Maddox to come to the surface of the water. To breathe for once and relax, to simply float in the water rather than drown. It would take time.

But time was something she knew she had less of. She herself felt better than ever, but Maddox? He was still the stubborn boy who scratched a suicide pact with Loneliness in a dingy warehouse.

He was still the same boy.

And he had not yet changed his mindset. He may not vocalize his thoughts, but his eyes were the most haunting thing she had ever come across. His eyes spoke volumes of pain and suffering.

He wasn't invincible. He wasn't perfect. But he was exactly who she needed. He came into her life at the perfect time and even though he was still annoyed easily and a little impulsive, he treated her with respect most people lacked.

Just thinking about how he treated her had her blushing a little.

"I want him to open up to me," she whispered hoarsely as she fumbled with her entwined hands. She glanced over at Tiana who gave her a tired smile.