12 Wear Out Iron Shoes In Fruitless Searching... 2/2

Start from the beginning

If Sanli had to use just one word to describe Ermi, it would be naive. Since she had been a child, Ermi had always either had her head in a book, reading some romance where a handsome lord and a beautiful maid met by happy chance, or in the clouds, dreaming about her latest read.

It was expected for noble women to live sheltered, safe lives, but Ermi was more oblivious to the real world than most.

At 16, most noble women were already married and were living with their husbands, who rarely resembled the gallant young lords in Ermi's stories. Unluckily, or luckily for Ermi, Ermi's mother, Sanli's half sister, had been too preoccupied with her own amorous pursuits to take much interest in arranging her daughter's marriage.

And so Ermi, now past ideal marriageable age, found herself without a betrothed, though still with no small amount of suitors. Sanli doubted these suitors came for his niece's short, plump figure or rosy cheeks. They came for her name, and the power and prestige that would come from marrying into the Green King's family.

Yes, Ermi was naive. And it was a naïveté Sanli was determined to protect.

Sanli affectionaley placed a hand on one of his niece's round cheeks. "What a pleasant surprise! Why are you here? You should be in Linjing."

Ermi grinned wider. "I begged brother to take me with him when he came to Zhanghai, and mother said it was fine as long as I continued to receive suitors." She grimaced at the last word. "Then brother said it wasn't safe for me to stay at the palace with all the kidnappings that have been happening in the city, so he sent me to stay here."

Sanli's bemused look met Sho's. More than likely, Zhangyu, the Second Prince and Ermi's brother, had simply wanted his sister out from underfoot, rather than being concerned about her safety.

'And and and,"continued Ermi excitedly, "guess what else?"

"What else?" indulged Sanli.

"Mother said, if I am still unmarried in the fall, I can attend classes at the university with Sho Sensei!" It was clear this was the news that had excited her so much that she had run down to meet them.

"That's great news, Ermi," said Sanli enthusiastically, already wondering why his half sister had finally agreed to Ermi's long held wish to study at the university. She must have something planned....

Kageyama smiled and turned, starting to lead Makabe up the slope. "Are you sure? I give a lot of work, and most of my students are much older than you. If you can't keep up I'll kick you out of my class."

"I'll keep up!"

A maid came hurrying toward them, out of breath. "Lady Ermi, please don't run."

"Sorry!" Ermi apologized to the maid, who fell into step a respectful distance behind the trio. "I have a lesson this afternoon with my new propriety instructor. She's so kind and gentle, Uncle Sanli. And she makes me laugh. Thank you so much for finding her for me!"

"You're so very welcome," said Sanli, trying to remember who he had hired to be Ermi's propriety instructor and when. That didn't sound like something he would do.

"Also, I started learning how to sail. One of the maids is teaching me. She's really good. I can almost man Serendipity by myself!"

Sanli laughed. "You'll have to sail us out on to the bay then."

They passed through the gates into the courtyard of Chuanfang. Guards stood on the walls and on either side of the gate. One of them announced in a practiced shout "Third Prince Lu Sanli and Lord Kageyama have returned!" Immediately, grooms rushed forward to take the men's horses and belongings.