Chapter Four.

✵ ☪︎ ✵

Chapter Four

✵ ☪︎ ✵

Warmth surged through her, it was as if she were standing in a furnace. Sweat trickled down her brow, her chest ached as she inhaled smoke. Her eyes darted around panicked, she searched the faces surrounding her, none of them belonging to her parents.

Someone knocked roughly into Maggie's shoulder as they pushed passed, and the teen looked to her left to see them vanish into the crowd of people in costumes.

Maggie gulped between her deep breaths, she reached up and wiped the back of her hand across her face, she placed her hand to her side, but froze as something caught her eye.

With trembling lips, she drew her eyesight back to her hand, her eyes widened in horror as she let out a gasp.

Lifting her hand up, Maggie could see it was covered in angry welts, the flesh was burning hot when she went to place her other hand to it.

She let out a hiss as red hot pain coursed through her, from the tips of her toes to the top of her head, she felt as if she was on fire.

Stumbling back, she fell into someone; the contact only worsened the pain, and she slumped to the floor, unable to move in fear of more pain.

People climbed over her, as if she wasn't there at all. Music blasted through speakers all around as Maggie stared up at the decorated ceiling, and with a jolt, Maggie realized that she was in the town hall.

Feet around her nearly crushed her on multiple occasions, but she bit through her tongue hard as she forced herself to sit up.

Her eyes watered, her nose stung, she felt as if she was about to be fried alive, with how hot she was. With shaking limbs, Maggie staggered to her feet, stars danced across her vision as she stumbled.

Finally, she was able to regain her balance, and she paused standing up, so she could look around.

She was most definitely in the town hall, the man in a skeleton custom, she had seen earlier, was up on the stage dancing and singing.

Strange thing was, no one was standing still, it was as if they physically couldn't; those who tried to stop and grab something to drink, found that their legs wouldn't allow it, swaying or kicking out beneath them as they attempted to stand still.

Maggie's brows furrowed, she became puzzled as she glanced around more, she could see her parents dancing in the corner, slightly out of breath.

Narrowing her eyes, (it felt like a million pins we're stabbing her face), Maggie did her best to ignore the pain as she forced herself further into the crowd.

Her eyes transfixed on the stage, Maggie didn't realize someone had grabbed her wrist until she felt a slight squeeze.

Yelping in pain, Maggie whirled around as she yanked her hand out of the person's hold. Cradling it to her chest as she panted, she slowly lifted her gaze to meet that of the person before her.

"Who are you?" The girl in front of her asked, a confused look on her face as she tilted her head at Maggie.

Maggie stared at her for a moment, puzzled. "Who are you?" She looked at the girl suspiciously.

Raising her eyebrows in an amursed manner, the stranger's lips curled up into a smile. "I asked you first." She lowered her gaze before meeting Maggie's eyes once again, a sly smile on her face.