Prologue

The warm weather, barbeque smoke and ice-cream truck jingles marked the beginning of summer in south England. After a stressful winter filled with students studying, partying and having mild depression, the start of summer brought one thing that could make a student piss their pants with dread and make them feel relieved at the same time, finals. The day after all of the exams were over the partying kicked off and soon enough biology students were playing badminton on the beach, psychology students were taking on student athletes in a game of beer pong and law students were on their way with the food and alcohol. The overall atmosphere of Bournemouth beach was buzzing.

Further down the sandy beach just out of reach from the deafening sound of house music sat three young adults staring out into the setting sun. Each of them had a drink in hand, their toes wriggling in the soft sand while every now and again the freezing cold sea lapped at them.

"I think my mom's having an affair with the mailman."

Mia and Dom both turned to look at Charlie with equally disgusted expressions on their faces.

"Ew."

"That's so wrong." Shivered Dom with a faraway look in his eyes.

"Yeah." Charlie took a sip of her diet coke and shrugged. "At least it's not the Co-op cashier from down the road."

"That's true." Nodded Mia laying back on her elbows.

A few moments of comfortable silence passed until it was filled with a voice coming from behind them.

"You guys look depressed as fuck."

"Welcome to the club, from 6pm to 9pm we have 'depression session', you're welcome to join but we require a ten pound entrance fee." Mia turned to James with an indifferent expression while holding her hand out.

"How about Chinese take away instead?" James smirked and held up the steaming bag full of plastic containers.

"Accepted." Dom flew to James' side, swiftly opening the bag and handing out the containers filled with oily goodness.

Once they were all content with their food a flowing conversation was initiated and as the sun set the party got wilder, the music got louder and people got drunker. Their conversation got interrupted by shrill shrieks and from where they were sitting they could see a couple girls running in the sea all nude. Guys were wolf whistling, cheering and even daring each other to join in on the fun.

"These people are crazy, the sea is freezing cold!" Charlie cuddled into her jacket more firmly.

"Can't be as cold as James' heart." Mia and Dom high-fived as James sent draggers their way.

"Oh hardy ha. Such comedians you two are."

While the others were distracted Mia got up and slowly started undressing, taking everything but her underwear off.

"But do you know what's funnier?" asked Dom.

"What?"

"Your face."

"Mia?" Charlie's inquiry made Dom and James look up from their staring/glaring contest and look at her in shock.

"What are you doing?"

Mia smirked and turned towards the see, "I wanted to see which one was colder; james' heart or the sea."

Charlie snorted, quickly undressing and pulling at Dom's hand. They both took off after Mia and soon enough the three of them were splashing around in the freezing waves. James looked on from his perch on the sand with amusement filled eyes.

"Come on in! It's not as cold as we thought." Called Charlie with a wink and James couldn't help but chuckle. He took of his clothes slowly, while watching them play in the water. Walking up to the water he jumped in without hesitation splashing them all and that's how the first water fight of the summer broke out.