"But, don't you see it, Miss Annabelle?" said the princess, standing up. She grabbed Annabelle's hands and looked her in the eyes. "He presumed things because he loves you and is afraid of losing you. If he didn't love you, then why did he search everywhere just to find you?"   

Annabelle wiped a few tears that fell from her eyes. All she did was cry. 

"I want to forgive him, I really do," the maid said, her voice sounding hoarse. "But, I just cannot find it in me--"  

"You have been given the opportunity to be with someone you love," Once again, wise words came out of the princess' mouth. "Not many of us get that in life."

The maid looked at the princess, really looked at her, and saw the pain that she tried to hide behind her bright eyes. In that moment, she realized that the princess was also in love with someone. But, she could not be with that person. That really opened Annabelle's eyes. 

"Don't waste any more time than you have already wasted."

Annabelle smiled through her tears, "I wish you nothing but happiness in life, Your Highness."

She smiled back at Annabelle and nodded her head. The maid gave the princess a tight hug before she left her alone on the balcony. 

It was time to find the prince. 

  ♛  

When the maid finally found Alexander, he was cornered by Lady Penelope in a dimly lit corridor. Her heart started to nervously thump in her chest. She decided to talk to Alexander and work things out with him, but seeing them alone together was not something she would like to see on a regular day.

Instead of showing herself in front of them, she stayed hidden behind the wall. She could not help but be curious about what they were talking about.

"Have you finally decided to tell me who the mystery girl is, Alexander?" Annabelle could not see the red haired girl's face, but she could imagine the smirk on her lips as she said that.

"Penelope, please don't start--"

"Why not? I want us to forget all about me confessing my love to you and just remain friends. Is it that hard to do so?"

Annabelle hid her gasp with the back of her hand. The lump in her throat seemed to get worse by the second.

"You told me you were in love with me for years, Penelope," she heard Alexander sigh. "That is not something I could easily forget."

"Fair enough," Lady Penelope chuckled. "Pray tell me Alexander, what do you even see in that maid?"

Annabelle furrowed her eyebrows. So, she did know

"So, you do know." If the situation was not tense, the maid would have smiled at how similar she and Alexander sometimes were. 

"Of course I know, Alexander," said Lady Penelope. "How could I miss the worry on your face when that foolish little maid burned herself with tea back then?"

A deep frown was etched on Annabelle's face. 

"Do not talk about her like that." Alexander's voice was firm and cold, one he rarely ever used and Annabelle was certainly not used to hearing it. 

"Why not?" Penelope mercilessly laughed. "As I recall, you caught her with another man in your very own castle."

Annabelle's body stilled. She could not believe how cruel Alexander's friend was acting towards him. And, she apparently loved him. The maid failed to find the logic behind that.

Then, Alexander said something that brought even more tension to the air.

"How did you know about that?"

Annabelle swore she could practically feel how angry Alexander was. She held onto the wall for support as she waited for Lady Penelope's response. 

"I believe I asked you a question, Penelope." His voice grew louder and angrier, and Annabelle wanted nothing more but to calm him down. However, she remained hidden.

Penelope let out a strangled chuckle. "Her Majesty told me, of course--"

"I did not even tell my mother," he immediately cut her off. "I am giving you the chance to tell me the truth, Penelope. Were you the one in Annabelle's room that night? Were you trying to trick me?"

"I-I,"

"Answer me!" His yelling made Annabelle flinch. She had never heard him yell before.

"You have to understand me, Alexander," this time, Lady Penelope was crying. "I-I told you I was in love with you. You rejected me. You wanted nothing to do with me."

Alexander groaned in frustration. "That certainly does not give you the right to imitate someone just to trick me. How could you stoop so low, Penelope?"

The red haired girl was still crying. Annabelle felt her cheeks wet, as well. She could not believe Lady Penelope would do that. She could not believe a person could be that cruel.

"Don't you understand what you did? You made me doubt the woman I love!"

"I was doing you a favor," she furiously said. "She's a maid, Alexander. How could you marry a maid--"

"Don't!" He yelled again. "Don't even start with that. You made me lose the only person that I have ever felt connected to, Penelope. You made me lose Annabelle."

Before the prince could continue, Annabelle came out from behind the wall and grabbed his hand. Alexander turned around in shock. 

"See?" said Lady Penelope behind them. "She even overhears private conversations."

Alexander raised his hand up in the air to silence her. That small act was enough for Penelope to stop talking. 

"Annabelle?" he quietly asked, one finger touching her cheek as if he was trying to make sure she was real and there with him. Annabelle smiled, watching as his eyes seemed to sparkle a little brighter. 

"You never lost me." She had whispered to him. 

He looked at her incredulously, "Never?"

"Not even for a second." 

It was enough for Alexander to pull her flush into his chest. She leaned into him, wrapping her arms around his waist. 

"I am yours, my prince. Always."