“You’ll figure it out when you wake up, but for now, there’s not much time left between us. There are a few things I need to tell you before you leave.”

“Leave? Why would I leave?”

“You don’t belong here.”

“Where am I?”

“You’re in the after life Emma.”

“The … after life? I’m like… dead?”

“Yeah, like I said not for long so listen up. Remember the time we hide in that cave from the rogues?”
”Yeah.”

“Remember what happened when you got scared?”

“Yeah you ran out of the waterfall drawing them away from me. You got seriously hurt; I remembered you couldn’t walk without pain for weeks.”

“The world is bigger than you and me, and sometimes you need to make sacrifices so that others might live, even if you know you’ll be hurting them more by sacrificing.”

“I don’t understand.”

“When the times right… you will.”

The world started blurring, the image becoming fuzzy.

“What’s happening?”

“Life.” Annabel said smiling at me

“I don’t want to leave you, not again.” I said as the forest grew dimmer and distant.

“You’re not leaving me. I’ll always be there.”

Then blackness, an empty void as well as a freezing cold, the likes I had never felt.

I could hear voices around me talking, Sammy, Quinn and Alexis but I couldn’t open my eyes. I could hear them discussing our escape, a place out of the council’s control, but I couldn’t speak or move. Sleep paralysis… a living nightmare, soon my conscious couldn’t stay awake for long and passed out only to wake to the warmth of this room and another voice. Well sort of wake, my eyes still wouldn’t open and I basically couldn’t move a muscle.

It was Alexis, I could hear her talking to someone, but I couldn’t hear their reply, only a fainted muttering.

“Yeah, we’re hidden.” Silence muttered reply.

“No in a bunker of some sorts.” Another muttered reply, I couldn’t tell if she was talking to a male or a female.

“She’s okay… she looks to be healing rapidly from her recent injuries. Was it necessary to put her through such a grueling trial?”

“No Elder Chevalier I’m not questioning you. I didn’t mean any disrespect.”

“It won’t happen again. I will do as you wish.” Then silence, she wasn’t here as a friend and I needed to wake up and let Sammy know. I wonder if Quinn was in on this, I needed to wake up. So I fought to wake up, fought my battered body and its need to sleep and heal.

I slowly climbed out of the bed the light shining through the door was the only source of light I had. Alexis wasn’t in the room when I was able to once again move, but I was guessing that she hadn’t gone far.

I limped my way through, the door. I had emerged into a clearing that had five doorways. One I was guessing was a way out of this place and the others were the bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom. The hidden bunker had a sort of homey feel to it, warm fur rugs scattered the area to retain the heat.

I listened for voices and heard Sammy’s voice echoing through one of the doorways.

“Yeah I know.” Silence