Kian Azura

Kian was not fond of children. Angel children were particularly dangerous. Cherubs first manifestation of powers normally occurred between two and four years old. The most common power was the ability to generate an aura shield for defense. A gifted few could fly and in the worst-case scenario some could generate fire balls.

But this child, this infant was well, cute. As soon as he picked him up the baby stopped wailing and stared at him. The baby's eyes flickered between a berry red and pale blue. He seemed to completely take after his mother with dark brown skin and soft curly pink hair.

"There, there," Kian found himself trying to console the child. His mother was already gone from this world. Solara was one of the most powerful angels, who or what could have possibly killed her? Azura scanned the debris. From the heat it could have been a dragon attack. But there hadn't been a dragon sighting in 50 years or more. He didn't sense any demonic energy. The only other being that could have caused such damage would be an angel. But who would dare?

Kian felt another angel approaching fast. It was King Elan Chiara, the child's father. Kian didn't know what to say. Maybe if he'd been faster, he could have saved the mother as well. Kian scoffed to himself. Solara was far more powerful than him. He would have been useless as usual. But at least...

"Your son lives, your highness." Kian told King Chiara. The king did not look pleased. Elan had tan skin and silver hair. His eyes were also silver, which was typical of angels of the Chiara clan. Elan's normally handsome features twisted into a scowl. He was seething...

Kian's aura shield surrounded him and the child instinctively. Kian tried to convince himself that he was misreading the situation. The king was upset about the death of his wife. That malignant energy was not directed at them. The fear coming from the baby could not be due to his father's presence.

The king was powering up, it was time to flee. Kian didn't know what was wrong with Elan, but he would protect the child at all costs. Kian felt other angels approaching and he glanced back at Elan. The king had returned to normal. Kian did not want to believe that Elan had just tried to kill them. Perhaps he'd been mistaken.

"Sometimes you may have to lie to others, but never lie to yourself, son." His mother once told him. Kian didn't know why Elan had just tried to murder them, but he would be on guard now.

"What happened here?" Aelius demanded loudly. He did everything loudly, though. Fortunately, he was as fast as he was loud. Kian shoved the child into his brother's arm. The idiot was immediately charmed by the baby. Aelius adored children.

"There was an attack, the child needs medical attention right away" Kian said. His brother flew off instantly. The child was safe for now. Kian turned back to Elan, praying his voice didn't shake

"I did as you requested, your highness," Kian said. "Your son will be safe while you pursue the demon or demons."

A collective gasp came from the angels gathered behind them. A higher level demon had not been seen in centuries. Only the most powerful demons could transport their bodies from the dark realm. But few demons did due to the fact the direct sunlight or angel fire would kill them immediately.

"You think a demon did this?" Elan asked.

"Of course, only a vile cowardly demon would attack a mother with her newborn." Kian told him. Elan's eyes flickered from silver to violet for a moment. He never liked the Azura clan. They were too prosperous. His lands were dying, but the blue bastards always had an abundance of crops. They were also swiftly outpacing all other kingdoms in every field from arts to science.

Worst of all, they were a bunch of human lovers. The Blue Sun angels even went as far as to marry and reproduce with humans. They treated humans as equal to angels. At least Kian was a true angel, too bad he would have to kill him now.

Gotcha! Kian thought for a moment, then panicked. How could he protect the child? Who would believe him?

Elan placed his hand on Kian's shoulder squeezing a little too hard.

"Thank you, second prince Kian Azura, I will make sure to repay for this." Elan said while smiling at him.