Triskaideka (thirteen) 1 of 4

(Quick Terms. GSK=Golden Sun Kingdom. BSK=Blue Sun Kingdom. RSK=Blue Sun Kingdom.)

Triskaideka- part one

"If I didn't know better, I'd think he was really trying to hurt him," remarked King Aureus Jua. If he only knew, Kian thought to himself. Kian thought the whole celebration surrounding turning thirteen was ridiculous, but angels loved their traditions. Around this age, an angel should have control over their powers. Kian thought it was just an excuse for adult angels to show off their offspring and get drunk.

Angels normally leaned towards either offense or defense. They often fought in pairs to balance each other out. Solar was adept at both, but Kian focused on building up the boy's defenses. Kian also enjoyed bruising Elan's ego.

Elan had thrown his most powerful blasts at Solar's shield to no avail. Well, the most powerful he could get away with. If he used all his power, then he could destroy the shield and the brat. But there was no way he could pretend it was an accident. Aelius would invoke his right to revenge, and end Elan's life. Solar was within his reach, and there was nothing he could do.

The shield was magnificent, it could have been created by an adult angel hundreds of years older than the boy. If Solar had really been his son, he would have been proud. But all he felt was rage. It was bad enough Solara rejected him after the trial marriage period was over. Then to have a child with some unknown angel right under his nose, was beyond humiliating.

Just be nice to her, Aureus had advised. Elan didn't see why he had to be nice to anyone. He was King of the Silver Sun Kingdom, a true royal angel. He could trace his ancestry back before the Aphotic period. Any angel should be honored to be in his presence and humans only needed to bow before him. Solara Jua was also of royal blood and incredibly underwhelmed with Elan. Elan had perhaps gotten too aggressive with her, but she overreacted. Solara broke both his arms before dropkicking him out of their bedroom.

He realized he could not overpower her, so he found another way to defeat her. Solara like most angels inspired jealousy in humans. One of the daft human maids had helped him trap his wife in a tower. He rewarded the insipid woman by snapping her neck. The silly girl deserved to die; she was a traitor after all. She also had the audacity to believe he had feelings for her. He'd never lower himself to mate with humans, as the disgusting Azuras did.

Maybe if Solar had been adopted into a decent angel family, he wouldn't hate him as much as he did. Elan knew from his spies, that Solar had become a human-lover as well. Killing the boy was a kindness. He just wished he could find and kill the Solar's father as well.

He had no idea who the real father was since Solar's aura signature didn't match any on record other than Solara's. Elan wondered if the high council was lying to him. Angels could always find each other due to the nature of aura energy. Perhaps Solar's father was a human, Solara would do something so petty. Elan refused to believe a human sired Solar. He hated to admit it but, Solar was pretty, even by angel standards. His aura was dazzling, the rainbow colors danced and blended beautifully together. His hair was dark pink with rose gold highlights and stood out against his dark brown skin. All the half-breeds he'd seen were unremarkable in looks and powers. Solar had to be a true angel.

Solar's eyes changed colors like most angels but had stayed a dark violet during the attack. He occasionally blinked his eyes, fluttering his long pink lashes. He almost looked bored.

This is so boring, Solar thought. He then regained his composure and put on his polite face. His acting wasn't as good as Kian's, but better than Aelius's.

Kian was boring too, he never let him leave the palace. Perhaps after today, Kian would trust him more. He'd survived every attempt on his life after all. Okay, that was a terrible argument. He just wanted to leave the palace and murder the dragon who killed his mother. That was also a terrible argument. Solar sighed to himself; he was going to die in the palace. And with his luck be reborn there as well.

Solar snapped out of his musings when he heard applause and cheers. So, it was over. Kian refused the dueling part of the ritual, so it was done.

"A trick! Or he was holding back!" King Kukovi Rubidus declared.

Solar kept his polite face on and ignored him. Solar looked to his father to intervene, but the man had flown off. Great, Kukovi was stomping towards him. Weren't angels supposed to be graceful? Solar thought. The leader of the Red Sun Kingdom was known for his volatility, so Solar didn't want to deal with him. He didn't need to cause an inter-kingdom incident, either. Kian would lecture him for days.

"You don't compare to my son," Kukovi went on. He towered over Solar. Angelic alcohol stung Solar's nose. It was stronger than the alcohol humans consumed, just a few drops would easily knock a human out. Kukovi was taller and more muscular than most angels at just under seven feet. The red gold and red armor made him appear more massive. Why was he wearing armor? Solar wondered. All the other angels were in formal wear.

I hope not, Solar thought, but managed not to roll his eyes.

"Your father wasn't much impressed either, I see," Kukovi slurred. He must have drunk a whole barrel of ale or more to be this far gone. Angels could get drunk, but rarely did since their bodies burned through the alcoholic effects quickly. Solar was impressed, just not in a positive way.

This child irked Kukovi. He'd been fond of Solara and was horrified that she married Elan. Solara was such a fierce warrior; he had hoped she'd take an interest in one of his sons. Or even one of his daughters. Though the thought the joining of their clans would produce an amazing angel.

By all eleven hells, even one of the Azuras would have been better than Elan. Solara was as intelligent as she was strong, how could she fall for a cretin like Elan? And then Elan let the Azuras adopt the child. The RSK and SSK were supposed to be allies. Solar should have joined the Rubidus Clan. The boy had potential that would be wasted with the Azuras.

"Why are you interrogating a child, such a thing seems beneath you, "Kian cut in smoothly. The other angels were staring now.

Kukovi hated Kian, always the diplomat and charmer. He wanted to rip the faux angel's fluffy blue and white hair out by the roots. At least Aelius was a warrior. Aelius defeated Kukovi 's father in a duel over disputed lands. If the old man had just left the humans residing there alone it would have never happened. Kukovi was hardly a human lover, but his worthless father had set fire to several human towns for no reason. And humans had their uses, like growing the crops for the ale he loved.

But Kian was right, Solar was still a child, and he should leave him alone. For now.