Chapter Five

Mama Eveline's Ranch: Chapter Five

It was closer to dinner when I stirred awake, I looked at Felix and analyzed his face to see that he was still asleep, which was good because I think I had slept longer than I was suppose to and hadn't went downstairs to get his plate just yet. I slowly set up with a tired yawn, I looked at the window across from the bed to see it was slowly getting darker outside, meaning it wasn't near midnight yet. I glanced back at Felix while carefully sliding out the bed to go to the bathroom, I tip-toed quietly to the door and glanced back at Felix before pulling it open carefully and slipping out the ajar door to close it quietly. I wanted to make sure not to wake him because he was going to need all the rest he could get, I just hoped Earl wouldn't use Felix's wound to the advantage of him not being able to hold his keep at the farm. I walked toward the bathroom quietly, it was dead quiet downstairs and I wondered if anyone was down there as I entered the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I switched the light on and turned to the mirror to stare at what stared back at me, I was amazed at how long my hair had grown and the scrawniness coming over my arms. 

I reached up and pushed my hair out of my face before frowning at the bangs that fell right back into place, my hair was toward the middle of my back and while I liked the length, my bangs were becoming outrageous. I grabbed the first drawer and pulled it open, I sifted through the lose tampons, pads, and a brush or two before frowning and shoving the drawer closed, only to move to the second one. I opened the second drawer and stared at the millions of plastic bags before reaching in and grabbing a handful, I went to put the plastic bags back in place until I spotted a drop of red along the liner of the drawer, a frown fell onto my face once more. I sat the plastic bags aside before moving a few more bags and halting as I stared at the bloodied scissors, I blinked a few times before looking in confusion at the scissors, curious of who would put bloody scissors there. I turned to the trashcan in the bathroom between the counter and the toilet to see something light pink catch my attention next, I frowned as I reached down and pulled the item out to stare at the positive pregnancy test. 

My eyebrows rose in awe as I dropped the test back into the trashcan and attempted to hide it with a few pieces of tissue. I replaced the plastic bags carefully as sudden vibrations along the staircase caught my attention, I quickly closed the drawer and flushed the toilet in the hopes that the person coming up the stairs wouldn't think of anything suspicious. My urge to use the bathroom had easily vanished as I looked at the droplet of blood against the faucet, whoever was in here earlier had tried to get rid of their secret but they weren't the cleanest of people when they did so. I took a heavy breath before grabbing the handle and pulling the door open just as Emily raised her hand to knock on it, she blinked and stared me up and down as I looked at her with forced confusion, I watched as her eyes danced around the bathroom carefully before falling back on me. 

"Dinner." She said abruptly, making me quickly nod my head as she squinted her eyes at me closely before turning and heading back down the stairs, which I followed. 

It was rather awkward that I had come across Emily's pregnancy test, I was sure it wasn't Mama Eveline's because she didn't have a man around to impregnate her, I took each step slowly to put distance between Emily and I as she entered the kitchen only a few seconds before me. I glanced at the bench table to see Emily take her seat beside Harry as Earl nursed his flask openly, it made me wonder if he was trying to drink away the news I had just found out on my own, I was curious if anyone knew yet. Mama Eveline was by the stove, finishing plating as Wyoming dashed into the kitchen and nestled between Harry and Emily, making Emily scoot closer to Earl. I looked back at Mama Eveline as she moved closer to me with two plates in her hand and I thanked her lightly with a nod and a tiny smile that I knew showed my true emotions, I was exhausted truly but I was putting on a braver front to not have anyone worrying about me.