TWENTY-TWO (Iselen P.O.V)

"Here you have, Claire. This is a list of the main tourist attractions in the city, my favourite ice-cream parlour and a good Italian restaurant near the hotel. The mall is a 15-minute walk away down this street and this is my friend Sebastian's tattoo studio, if you have any problem just go there and tell him that you know me, he'll help you... And this is the hospital address in case you need us, get a cab and show the driver this piece of paper, all right? I hope Gustav and you have fun."

"Thank you, Luna Iselen. I'm sure we won't have any problem. Have a nice day." This is the first time I see the young girl smiling honestly, she really wanted to get out of Wolfdale for a change although I'm afraid this little city may seem disappointing: there's not much more you can do if you're a young girl.

If only I could be as excited as she's but, despite the fact that I can't wait so see my mum, I can't help being really nervous. Ruby assures me that everything will be fine and my stepfather won't be a problem for us and everything seems to indicate that she's right: the moment we got into the hotel just before lunch time, the major of my former city called in order to welcome his 'colleague' and offer her whatever she may need. My mate couldn't help smiling smugly while noticing his deferential tone of voice: her contacts in Washington must've scared him to death. My stepfather and his buddies won't dare to do anything since we have the support of such important politicians and the police officers of Wolfdale but I'm worried nonetheless: I'm afraid the pastor will behave with his usual arrogance, maybe he'll say something offensive and my mate will kick his ass. I strongly believe she'll be able to do that with no regrets.

I look at my reflection in the mirror for the last time before going to meet Ruby... I hope I didn't overdone it with my clothes, I'm just going to pay a courtesy call to the hospital after all but I don't want to be the reason for an argument and still remember what the pastor said about women wearing pants so I picked out a shirt dress in a pink pastel shade, dark blue flats and a matching jacket. The pendant in the shape of half a heart that my girl gave me and small gold earrings matching are the only jewels I'm wearing. Talking about my girl...the major comes into the room and I can't help opening my eyes wide in surprise.

"Wow! You look... amazing..." I whisper and she smiles blushing.

"I want to make a good impression on your mother," she explains looking down at her clothes. She's wearing a dark blue suit with pants and a jacket but has picked out a simple white T-shirt and several silver necklaces in order to give the look a youthful touch.

"You're wearing lace-up shoes... I didn't know you have those, your closet is full of biker boots and sneakers..."

"Sometimes I have to go to Washington and I attend important meetings, you know." She answers almost offended.

"And I bet you wear your Iggy Pop T-shirt to some of those meetings..." I try to keep a straight face while she looks at me biting her lower lip before pointing at her head.

"Rose is laughing her furry ass off, you know that?"

"It's funny because it's true..." My mate rolls her eyes before nodding in resignation and kissing my lips gently.

"Are you ready?" I nod slowly. "Let's go, don't be nervous please. Everything will be all right. I'm pretty sure that your mum will be delighted to see you."

The werewolves are waiting outside watching three big dark cars that are going to take us to the hospital. I can't help blinking in surprise: the seven young officers and their sergeant that spent the whole flight to get here joking trying to cheer me up have vanished... they look like government agents right now, wearing dark suits, earpieces to keep in contact with their superior officer and sunglasses that don't hide their serious faces. They seem to be ready to fight against an army and the truth is that their menacing air makes me feel calm although people walking in front of the hotel are looking at us with funny faces. Ruby opens the car door for me and I jump in quietly but I can't help chuckling a little, she looks at me frowning.