Chapter 14: Irreplaceable

Start from the beginning

"Mama, I'm so sorry," Cassie sobbed as fresh streams of tears came down her face.

"No, honey, you don't need to apologize for anything," Angie reassured, as she sat down on the chair by Cassie's bedside. "Everything's all right, we're all together now."

"But I made you get sick!"

"And I'm all better now, now that you're awake and breathing and talking to us."

"Yeah, but--"

"Listen, honey, listen," Angie cut in. "I'm the one who should apologize. I should have listened to you when you were in so much pain, but I was so wrapped up in work and the investigation, I had to let it out, and I'd let it out at the wrong person at the wrong time."

Cassie frowned and hung her head down.

"I couldn't have said it better myself," Austin added knowingly, referring to his outburst at Cheyenne's ex-boyfriend's parents.

He placed his fingers on Cassie's chin and tilted her head upward to look at him.

"But there is something that you need to know. If I'd lose my job tomorrow or in the coming days, I wouldn't care at all... because I have my wife and kids beside me," Austin said. "I'd rather be homeless and lose everything than lose any members of my family. Life would be challenging, but I wouldn't have it any other way," he continued wholeheartedly. "Just like I just told your brother and sister, I don't know how I'd live with myself if I lost you. You are irreplaceable." he finished, his voice broken, as his eyes reddened, a sign that he was fighting back tears.

"That's right," Angie agreed. "With that being said, if you have any problems, anything that's bothering you in any way, you are obliged to come and tell us, no matter what's going on in our lives, 'cause we are a mother and father first, especially when the magnitude's too much for you to bear on your own, like being bullied for a long period of time. Cassie, you can't keep things like that to yourself, you just can't," she finished, as Austin nodded in agreement.

"I know, but I didn't want to make it worse," Cassie said lowly.

"Sweetheart, I hate to break it to you, but at this moment in time, we're already there," Austin said apologetically. "And that's why we're here. We're your parents. Not only that we provide for you and show you right from wrong, but we have a responsibility to defend you from whatever adversary comes your way."

"Look, I've been in a relationship with your father for almost twenty-five years, and I'm counting the time before we were married," Angie said, taking hold of her husband's hand. "And if you ask me, he's slow to anger. However, when someone harms a person he loves... that's when the beast comes out, and that's once in a blue moon, but I'm always there to tame him."

"But that wasn't the case when it came to Cheyenne and Marcus," Cassie pointed out innocently.

Austin's lips went side to side, the look he made when he was upset or embarrassed, as he looked down on the floor.

"That's true," Angie replied lowly. "But speaking of the situation we're in now, your father can't afford to be a loose cannon, ain't that right, Austin?"

Austin ran his fingers through his dark hair, as he nodded his head yes.

"Of course, hon," he replied lowly.

Cassie hung her head down, regretting every decision she made these past several months. 

Cassie then picked her head up after realizing something. "Wait, Drew was here?"

"Yep, he was the one who saved your life," Austin replied. "I was wrong about him, he's a good kid."

"I love him," Angie said dreamily, with a smile.