Prologue

Prologue

"No!! Mommy!" I cried as I clutched her hand tightly, refusing to let go.

"Its okay, honey. Don't cry." She wheezed out of her sore throat. We had been expecting this and i thought i could have handled it, to be strong. But from the moment i saw her collapse, so did my heart.

A few days ago, when i was sitting by the fire, she had come home with a rabbit for us to eat for dinner. While she was skinning it with her knife, when i heard an "Ouch!" and looked up to see what was the matter. My mother was eyeing a cut she had received on her hand but then dismissed it and kept going. Big mistake. The next morning we had seen that her hand had swelled up. That only meant one thing. She had an infection. We both tried to get rid of it, but it was no use. It was already to deep to be cured. And now, because of such a stupid mistake, i would become an orphan since my dad had passed away when i was a baby. I would be alone.

"Don't cry." She said again,"It's the way of life. Mother Nature has once sent me from the earth to be born and, now, its my time to go back. It is my time to go so you can't be a little girl anymore. Your almost a young lady and you have to start to look after yourself. Remember those hunting techniques i taught you?" seeing my nod she continued," Good. Use them. Also use the medicine recipes i have if ever you get hurt..."

I nodded and whipped my tears away with the back of my hand. She gave me a faint smile then started to sing the lullaby she had sung to me every night before bed.

"Lavender's blue, dilly, dilly, lavender's green. when you are king, dilly, dilly, i shall be queen"

Ever since i'd been able to talk, i had sung along with her. So now, with a shaky voice, i jumped in.

"Who told you so? dilly, dilly, who told you so? Twas my own heart, dilly,dilly, that told me so. Call up your friends,dilly, dilly, set them to work, some to the plough, dilly, dilly, some to the fork."

Fresh tears started to run down both our cheeks but we didn't bother whipping them away.

"Some to the hay, dilly, dilly, Some to thresh corn. Whilst you and i, dilly, dilly, keep ourselves warm. lavender's blue, dilly,dilly, lavender' green. when you are king, dilly,dilly, i shall be queen.

"who told you so? dilly, dilly, who told you so? Twas my own heart, dilly, dilly, That told me so..."

We both ended on the last note, but my mothers voice was the faintest whisper. "Grow and be strong. We shall be together again some day, my dear, sweet Kira..."

Her eyes shut slowly and then, i was left alone.