Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The next morning Scorpius waited for Rose in the common room before they tried to find their way to breakfast. Rose was going to ask one of her dear cousins, but they had mostly decided they weren't talking to her as she was friends with the "enemy". Well James and Fred. Victoire and Roxy never had breakfast and were nearly always late for classes apparently. Dominique and Molly were in Ravenclaw, so that would've helped them much and Louis had already gone for breakfast, being a very early riser.

However the two managed to find the Great Hall with ten minutes to eat and Professor Longbottom came over handing out timetables. "Hi sir!" Rose said cheerily, finding it weird not calling him Neville.

"Hello Rosie, where's the boys?" Neville said smiling.

"James and Fred are over there. There being immature as usual" Rose rolled her eyes.

"Why this time?"

"They're not talking to me because I'm friends with Scorp"

"Ah Mr Malfoy I presume? Well nice to meet you Scorpius, I'm glad you're not fighting like your fathers. That was a nightmare between Draco, Ron and Harry. Anyway I best be off, lots more timetables to give out. Don't be late tomorrow, you're first class of the week is with me in Herbology!"

"Bye Professor" Rose and Scorpius said at the same time.

"So, Scorp?" Scorpius asked chuckling.

"It's a nickname, you call me Rosie" Rose giggled.

"Everyone seems to call you Rosie" Scorpius pointed out, "But I've never had a nickname before, I like it. Anyway what shall we do today?"

Rose thought about this, "Well, I promised to write to mum, dad and Hugo on the first day here."

"To the owlery?"

"To the owlery!"

It took them half an hour to get to the owlery, mainly because they had to first go back to Gryffindor tower to get parchment, quills and ink. Once there Rose got straight into her letter, but Scorpius hesitated. He still wasn't sure if his father was joking about the whole disowning thing and knowing his father he wasn't. Eventually he began to write, leaving out that he was in Gryffindor or that Rose was a Weasley. Once he was done he sent his letter with Andra (Greek meaning strong and courageous), the tawny owl he had inherited from his mother.

After the owlery Rose and Scorpius sat out by the lake talking but Scorpius was distracted. He was too busy worrying about his father's reply to his letter.

It took a week for Draco to get back to his son. In that week they found that Scorpius loved charms while Rose's favourite subject was transfiguration, though they had found all of their lessons intriguing. Because of classes and homework Scorpius had forgotten all about his father, barely remembering he had even sent him a letter in the first place. Scorpius read the letter with Rose at their usual spot by the lake.

Dear Scorpius,

I am glad to hear you are fitting in at school. You failed to mention anything about what you think of Slytherin. Unless I am to understand you were sorted into a different house...

I hope not. Do you know the shame you will bring to the Malfoy name if you are?

Who is this Miss Rose? Surely she has a surname?

Write back to me about your house. If not I'll make a visit. I will find out what you're trying to hide from me one way or the other son.

Father

"Oh no, what am I going to do?" Scorpius cried, putting his head in his hands.

"It's going to be fine Scorp, somehow. We'll think of something" Rose said soothingly.

"It won't Rose. He'll be disgusted that I'm Gryffindor" Scorpius sighed.

"Why's he writing about me in the letter?" Rose asked.

"I told him about my best friend. Of course I was careful not to mention your last name so that he wouldn't blow up at me. I was hoping he wouldn't notice these things, but of course he did" Scorpius replied. The pair sat in silence for several minutes before they noticed a figure walking up to the school. It was a man, with short platinum blonde hair...

"Dad!" Scorpius called standing up and running over, taking Rose's hand and dragging her along with him. "What are you doing here?"

"I told you I'd visit. I decided to come up anyway. Who's this young lady?" Draco said calmly.

"Rose Weasley sir, nice to meet you" Rose introduced herself, momentarily forgetting about him hating Weasleys.

"Oh. The feeling is mutual...would you allow me a moment with my son privately?" Draco's voice turned cold. Rose merely gave Scorpius a reassuring smile and went back over to their spot at the lake, pulling a book out of her pocket. "Why on earth are you taking to a Weasley? I thought I told you to stay away from the likes of her?"

"Dad, please!" Scorpius said looking anxious hoping Rose couldn't hear his father as his voice got louder. "She's my friend!"

Draco was about to continue the soon to be argument but he glanced at the badge on Scorpius' robes. "Gryffindor?" He said in a low voice. "Gryffindor?"

"Dad, don't be mad it's great. Well no one really talks to me but then no one in Slytherin does..." Scorpius started quickly but Draco cut over him.

"Gryffindor! Centuries of proud, purebloods in Slytherin's noble house and you ruin our good name, by first being a Gryffindor then betraying us by befriending the daughter of a mudblood and a blood traitor! I've half a mind to pull you out of this wretched school!" Draco stormed back out of the castle gates, Scorpius staring after him as tears ran freely down his face, realising that the one parent he had left probably wanted nothing to do with him anymore. Even though Scorpius was extremely mad at him at the moment, he couldn't lose another parent. Rose, noticing that Draco had left, ran back over to her friend and noticing he was crying pulling him into a hug. "Oh Scorpius. I'm sure he'll come around, he just...needs to get used to this."

"He might...did you hear?" Scorpius muttered hugging his friend back tightly.

"Yeah" Rose mumbled a little upset with what had been said.

"I'm sorry Rosie. He had no right to say anything about you or your family"

"Don't worry about it, it's you he upset"

"I'm fine" Scorpius stepped out of his friend's arms smiling at her as he wiped his tears. "Come on, we should get dinner." Taking Rose's hand for the second time that afternoon, they slowly dawdled up to the Great Hall.