CHAPTER 45: Lunch From Hell

Start from the beginning

I opened the terrace door and there she was, Vanessa. She said," Well, Speaking of family meetings...",

I didn't know how she was already aware of my presence, without even looking back.

Cassandra ran towards me and wrapped her arms around me, whispering, "I missed you, big brother."

"I missed you too, little sis.", I laughed heartily. I had missed her so much, I had missed my family so much.

"Where is the food? I am starving, Paula.", Vanessa said. There was something off about her voice. Was it because of my sudden arrival?

"Lunch is ready but go change first. God knows how long you have been in those clothes.", mom complained, pointing to her.

"Fine.", she let out a forced laugh and went downstairs.

I sat down between my sisters and opposite Vanessa's.

"Adrian, this is Mr. Hudson's youngest daughter, Jennifer and her boyfriend, Jacob Ashton.", mom said.

"It is a pleasure to meet you.", I said formally. I bet I had heard Jacob's name before, I just didn't know where.

Jennifer had her mother's features along with her brown eyes and auburn hair. Kate must have been very beautiful when she was younger. Jacob too was a decent looking guy though he did look a little uncomfortable.

There was definately a look of discomfort on the faces of all the Hudson's. Something was definately wrong. Before I could investigate further, Charlotte suddenly got up,"Mom, I'll be back in a minute. I need to check on Kevin."

Mom nodded and Charlotte left. A chatter broke out on the table while the food began to be served. I looked at my watch twice, after finishing my first course. Charlotte should be here by now. It had been more than ten minutes. "Mom, I'll be back in a second.", I said and went downstairs, looking for her.

I went to Kevin's room just to see him sleeping but Charlotte wasn't there. I next knocked at her room. There was no reply still. I sighed and then knocked at Vanessa's door. Probably they were there. I heard the door latch open and then I head popped out.

"Charlotte, what's going on?",I frowned.

"Oh nothing. I was just getting Vanessa a pretty dress to wear.", she said, still not letting go of the door.

"Right now? Seriously?"

"Yeah. Give us a minute, ok."

"Fine.", I said, still standing in front of the door.

Finally, a few minutes later, the door opened. My sister stepped out along with Vanessa who was wearing a red sweater dress. She looked at me briefly before starting to walk away. I held her by her wrist, saying, "You do realise that the no matter how much makeup you have put, anybody can tell that you just cried."

She looked back at me in disbelief, "Really?", then turned to Charlotte," I told you. I'll just pretend that I had to attend an urgent meeting. They'll understand."

"You also told me that you were tired of running away."

Vanessa sighed, "Fine. Let's go."

"Am I missing out on something?", I asked.

"Nope. Just girl talk. Why, you interested?", Charlotte teased me.

"No thanks. Let's go.", I said, though I knew there was more to this than just girl talk.

When we went upstairs there were only three seats vacant, one was my former seat and that of Charlotte and one was next to Jacob. I gave my seat to Vanessa. It was probably better that she sat with Charlotte.