(9) Just Lookin Out On The Day

When 2D woke up in the morning, Murdoc's arms were draped gently over him. He enjoyed the warmth more than anything, but he was starving. He gently removed the bassists limbs from his own and sat up, quietly making his way out of the room. He took the lift up to the kitchen, where he rifled through the pantry to find something to eat. His efforts were for nothing, as the shelves were lined only with dust. Stuart groaned and walked down the hall, figuring he'd explore the HQ some more to distract him from his hunger.

Stu walked down hallway after hallway, floor after floor. Nothing really interested him, as most of the rooms were bare. When he arrived at the jet black door he had woken up behind, he turned the handle and stepped inside as silently as he could. 2D walked into the dim room, studying the graphic posters that lined the walls. For some reason, the air suddenly felt colder and a chill ran down his spine. Stuart went into the satanist's closet to find a sweatshirt to warm him. When he open the door, he was met with a wall of small screens. The light of the screens glared off his jet black eyes as he tried to make sense of what he was seeing. On the flickering screens was the kitchen, bathrooms, some of the old barren rooms, and the one that caught Stu's eyes the most, his own room. His breathing started to quicken, and he jumped when he felt a hand on his back.

"What're you doing?" Murdoc's voice was scratchy, having just woken up. He looked from 2D back to the screens and his eyes widened a bit. "Why're you goin' through my stuff?"

"Have you been spying on me?" Stuart ignored the bassists previous question.

"Look Dents, it's not spying. I just wanna make sure ya don't hurt yourself." Murdoc shifted the weight between his feet nervously.

2D suddenly raised his voice. "You've been bloody watchin' me! That's how you knew I was havin' a headache that night. What are ya, a stalker or something?"

Murdoc rolled his eyes. "Oh please. I need to make sure ya don't kill yourself or somethin. Sometimes it seems like you might, and I need a singer, don't I?" Murdoc let the last sentence slip out, and as soon as it left his lips he regretted it. But what was he supposed to do, apologize?

"Yeah. Yeah you're right. You need a singer. That's all you need. Let's go record then yeah? And then I'll get off your bloody back and you can lock me down in that shithole again. That's all I want now. To be away from you!" Stuart pushed past him, feeling tears well up in his eyes as he made his way to the recording studio. He didn't look back to see if Murdoc was following, but he was.

2D sat down on the stool in the studio, not looking at the shorter man on the other side of the glass. He already had the paper with the smudged lyrics on it, and he was planning to come up with something on the fly. He didn't say a word to the bassist, only started to sing when he said 'go'.

When..you can't get what you want
But you can get me
So let's..set out to sea
Cause you are..my medicine
When you're close to me

Stu paused a bit as he sang the words, but he eventually got them out.

When you're close to me.