Chapter 12 - Uninvited Guests

Stationed in a familiar formation, the figure in the front, closest to us, pulls back his hood.

My heart stops, "James," I say in disbelief feeling my heart drop as I stare at my uncle. What is he doing here? What's going on?

On his feet, Alfie calls for the guards, however his attempts useless as my uncle uses his magic to enchant the doors shut. Keeping us in and everyone else out.

"Elouise, Elliot let's go!" Eyes never leaving his enemies, James commands us, "we need to leave, it's not safe here."

Unmoving, I gape at him. Anger quickly takes over, feeling my blood boil, I snap, "no!" First, he crashes my wedding then orders me to leave, I look back at Ash and the other Nightshades. I understand why he's doing this but can he not see that we are safe, taking a breath, I plead, "can we talk about this before any rash decisions, please."

James glances at me, for a second I see his once soft eyes turn hard; his voice coming out cold "we can talk once we leave," he reaches out to grab me.

Ash blocks James' hand deflecting it with his own, positioning his self in front of me Ash acts as a barricade, "she's not going anywhere, especially not with you."

The tension is suffocating and only thickens. Ash's movement triggers everything. James pulls out a silver blade and lunges an attack. Unable to dodge the attack, due to me being behind him, Ash attempts to disarm James.

Failing to grab the knife, it slices Ash's cheek. Unrelenting James goes in again, this time nicking Ash's arm. His eyes glowing, Ash hisses, still making an effort to defend.

I watch wide-eyed, they're idiots, actual idiots, why are they fighting? Are they children? Am I some possession that they can just win? No, definitely not.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when I hear someone gasp in pain. I turn to see Eli slumped against a wall with Clyde crouched defensively in front of him, fighting three men.

Grabbing a man coming towards him, Clyde rips out a chunk of flesh with his fangs and drops the limp body. Wiping his blood-stained mouth, another enemy comes for him and cuts Clyde's forearm open.

Julia's scream causes my focus to switch to her and the King. Alfred stands in front of her, with a knife lodged in his shoulder, silver no less. He glares at the threat in front of him and snarls.

In a flurry of noise and panic; along with the want to stop the chaos, I yell, "freeze," as loud as I can manage. My voice comes out cold and sharp, following through, all the noise stops.

Time for some new incantations. Magic isn't hard to master, all you need is a word and how you desire that word to be executed (as well as having magic coursing through your blood, otherwise it just wouldn't work at all.)

Weapons, I think, they need to go. I thrust my hand out and pull it back, "pull."  With that single word, every threat came racing toward me. Quickly, I put my hand up, then drop it.

The clattering of metal indicating it worked. Yes! Go me, I victory dance in my mind, I'm so cool.

I exhale, snapping my fingers which causes everyone to face me, "now that I've got your attention," I begin taking a step to the centre of the room, "let's get started."

"I'm pissed," I voice, "today is my wedding day, a day that is typically known as one of the happiest in a girl's life," I stop, taking a breath.

"James, how dare you attack Ash!" I fume, "I'm only going to say this once, don't you hurt them ever again or you'll lose the only family you have left." His thoughts are jumbled and hard to read with the number of people present but his eyes show remorse.

"Ash, honey, thank you for defending me but I can take care of myself so next time stay out of my way. Is that clear?" I wait for his answer because, at this point, he should be free of my magic.

"Crystal," he says, unconvincingly, I might add.

"Everyone will stay on their best behaviour, no attacking.  Any foul play will result in you being tied upside down from the ceiling for an hour," I warn, "now, let's enjoy the rest of this joyous day and that cake."

Unfreezing everyone, I walk over to the sweet dessert and pick up the serving knife, holding it up, I ask, "who wants a slice?"

Everyone took away a plate of cake and ate it, quickly and in silence. Well this is fun, isn't it?

Note the sarcasm, because, no, this is not fun at all.  All I want is a day where my husband and his family, along with my uncle and Eli, are in the same room; not wanting to kill each other. Is that too much to ask?!

Clapping my hands, I gain everyone's attention, "everyone finished?" I ask, waiting for responses.

"I'm done," respond a few, I hear some go "yes," and saw others nod.

"Great. Now, James and friends to the left, Nightshades and Eli to the right," everyone shuffles to their designated area as I walk down the aisle, once more, stopping when everyone turns to face me.

"Alright, let's start. Would anyone like to say something or will it just be me talking," I question.

Sighing in disappointment, I open my mouth but before I can speak, James steps forward.

"I'd like to apologise to you Elle, I'm sorry for ruining your wedding," James says with gentle eyes, in return I smile; looking behind me, he speaks again.

"I'm also sorry for attacking them," he adds quickly with less sincerity.

I know it wasn't the world's best apology but it was something, the right thing.

Stepping back into his crowd, James gives his men a stern look; a moment passes before one steps forward and mumbles a quick sorry; one by one they all take turns to curtly apologise.

After all the apologies, the Nightshades forgive James and his men with a short nod; then Ash comes forward.

"I'm also sorry, to Elle and to all of you," he says genuinely. He then looks at James and continues, "I'm so sorry for not inviting you today, I'm sorry that you couldn't walk her down the aisle, please forgive me."

I was left breathless when Ash said that then continued to lower himself to his knees in front of James.

James pulls Ash up and gives him a small smile, with that Ash, pulls him into a hug, "thank you."

I take a step towards Ash and James embracing them, wrapping my tiny frame around them both with teary eyes.

I don't know exactly how long this curtain of peace would last but I did know it was bound to fall.

——————————————————
It's been a while since the last update but I'm super grateful for everyone for sticking with me.

Finally seeing James again, I'm glad that they are getting along for Elle's sake. I know everything is a little messy and confusing but, Yolo (gosh that's cringy.) Anyways...

What's going to happen next? Something to disturb the peace?

Enami out ;-)