caramel mocha cappuccino

C H A P T E R T H R E E

As Luka turned the knob of the antique door handle, the brass sent a cold shiver down his spine. He stepped inside and dusted his feet on the 'welcome' mat. The chime of the doorbells took him back to his parent's wedding. A false fantasy. A warm wave of comfort washed over him as his eyes were met with fifty shades of beige. The cafe was quiet, too quiet. The quiet where you could hear your thoughts but at the same time, overhear murmurs of conversation.

Luka queued behind an old woman wearing a knitted scarf. Her platinum hair and lavender scent went well together. It reminded Luka of his grandmother. She wobbled forward and mumbled something to the barista as she clutched her purse. A baby blue tea set caught his attention. It was decorated with silhouettes of star-magnolia trees. Luka's eyes drifted along the rows of floating tea sets. He was in Wonderland. He then averted his focus to the menu. A chalkboard framed with pine wood, with options of coffee written in cursive. The next thing Luka saw didn't just catch his attention, it caught his heart. Luka was being dramatic, but this dude was devilishly handsome. He looked like a Greek god, he had to be a Greek god with those features. Luka tried not to make eye contact with him because every time Luka laid eyes on him, his heart skipped a beat. Luka pinched his arm to get back to reality.

"What can I get for you today?" The guy said with his evil gaze.

Luka stared at the ridges of the pine counters. "Could I have your number." Only it came out as, "Could I get one hazelnut latte."

"With extra foam," Luka added. The guy smiled, his jaw tensing.

He checked the cash register. "That would be thirty-five, fifty."

Luka handed the cash to him and when placing the note into his hand, Luka let his hand rest on the barista's just a little. So petty. Luka stepped aside to watch the clouds migrate as he waited for his beverage. Moments later, something brushed against his shoulder.

The barista handed Luka's latte to him. Luka smiled when taking the coffee but didn't say anything because he didn't want to make matters worse let alone ruin his reputation. Boy, this universe revolved around Luka Yellowwood. He adjusted his bag to his shoulder and headed out, starting his journey to the darklands, aka home.

Suddenly, just as Luka was about to turn around exit the cafe, a thought popped in to his head.

"Hey," Luka broke the silence.

"Hey," the barista replied awkwardly.

"Uhm, so I saw this advert online saying you were a maths tutor and well, I was wondering if you could tutor me because I'm basically failing math." Luka blurted out, dumbfounded.

The barista looked confused, Luka was freaking out just a little. "Sure!" he replied, scratching the back of his neck. "My shift ends in like ten minutes, so I could tutor you here. Since the cafe is open twenty-four hours."

Luka fakes a smile as the barista retraced his steps to behind the counter, attending to the annoyed customers. Luka was anxious. He was having a mini melt-down. Honestly, Luka didn't ask to be tutored because he needed it, even though he was failing math, Luka asked to be tutored because he had the teeniest tiny crush on this guy.

Moments later, which felt like eternity to Luka, the barista emerged out from the back of the cafe. He was now wearing a beige crew neck with the phrase 'live life, dangerously' printed on it. He had rolled up the sleeves probably to show his biceps off. Luka wasn't complaining.

To not look like a total douchebag, Luka sat in one of the booths 'studying'. What he was really doing was planning his designs for a mirror that lighted up. Like the ones that are in celebrity dressing rooms. He was doing that and waiting for his date with Prince Charming.

The barista started to approach me. "So I only have like two hours until I have to go because I have a thing at 6, that cool?" He sat down next to Luka, flipping his brunette curls out of his face.

"That's perfect." Luka said as he got lost in the milky hazel eyes of the cutie, longing to bathe in them.

"I'm Flynn by the way." he spoke up as he shot Luka a warm smile.

Flynn. Flynn. Luka let the name roll around on his tongue. The name suited him. With this luscious brown locks and his warm hazel eyes that could win anyone over with a blink.

"So what do you need help with?" Flynn asked politely.

"Math." Luka replied.

"No, what sections?"

"All of them, well Algebra and Geometry so basically everything." Luka's head fell into his arms. He felt lost, so lost.

"It's gonna be great, you'll do fine in the upcoming tests. Trust me, I can help you out." Flynn reassured Luka as he placed his hand on Luka's forearm. Suddenly, Luka was overcome with confidence. He felt so at ease. He wanted to tell Flynn everything but alas, Flynn was a tutor, not a counselor.

The rest of the 'session was just a blur. Maths and more maths and more maths. Flynn was so kind and understanding, and a great mentor. Luka actually stood a chance in getting a good grade on his paper! Luka came for the boys and stayed for the books. It was a win-win situation.

"Well, I have to get going." Flynn

"Again, thank you so much. I honestly can't tell you how much you helped me." Luka said, enlightened.

After a while of silence, Luka started packing up his books and stationery, "Maybe you could tutor me another again?" Luka pleaded with puppy eyes.

"Yeah sure! Oh let me give you my number before you leave." Flynn gestured for Luka to hand him his phone. Luka did just that as he watched Flynn type the ten digit number into his phone.
Luka then fixed his bag to his shoulder and got ready to head out.

"Hey I didn't catch your name," Flynn spoke up.

"Luka." he blurred out as he sped out the cafe like the devil was in his heels.

As Luka waited for the traffic to migrate, he felt the gentle breeze on his freckles face. The cars formed a perfect pathway for Luka to get through and he ran long and wide to catch the sunset.