» iv. reconnect

"So, like, when were you planning on telling me you were back?" she asked and I closed my laptop, staring at the girl.

"I uh- … I just got a new phone the other day and I didn't know if your number was still the same," I stuttered as she sat down across from me, a coffee in hand. She looked the same, just more grown up and probably a little skinnier.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked and I shook my head.
"No- yeah, I just didn't expect to see you here." - "How was Hastings?"
I stuffed some fries into my mouth and shrugged. "Definitely an experience," was my reply, and I figured I'd have to give answers like this all the time just to avoid lying even more.
"Well you did stay there for two whole years. And you barely talked to any of us too! Not gonna lie, we thought you'd eventually just dump us." - "You know I wouldn't do that! Not without a reason." - "Hey!" Victoria called out and snatched a few of my fries.

"How is everybody?" I asked and now it was her turn to shrug.
"Alright I guess. Nathan and I were talking about you the other day actually." - "Oh you were?"

To be honest I'd almost hoped my old friends had just forgotten all about me and moved on. It had been actual years after all. Then again, who knows what else my sister did to keep up the façade of me being abroad.

"Yeah, like, how you would be so there for the parties we're throwing every now and again. You so need to join the Vortex Club when you come back to Blackwell, I'll get you in."
I raised an eyebrow. "I don't do parties anymore, Vic." - "Aw come on! Back then that stuff didn't even deserve to be called a party! This is way better." - "We'll see," I mumbled and took a bite of my burger.

"Oh, by the way, gimme your new number! I'll also send it to the others. And I'll add you to the Vortex group chat!"

I sighed, knowing that Victoria wouldn't leave me alone unless I obliged, so I just handed her my phone while she grinned triumphantly. She tapped around for quite a bit while I focused on my food, until she gave it back to me. While I finished she filled me in on every bit of gossip that was even remotely interesting -- to her at least.

After getting the check I stuffed my phone and laptop into my bag and paid; Victoria looked at me with big eyes.
"You're leaving already? I texted Nate to come over already, he'd be so happy to see you!"

Letting out another sigh I gave her an apologetic smile. "I've still got some important stuff to do at home, but it was great seeing you again Vic! Tell Nathan I'll make it up to you guys, okay?"

Eventually she gave in, hugged me and I fled to my car, taking a few deep breaths before leaving the parking lot. I felt like somebody had run me over with a truck -- there was just way too much new information that I had to somehow digest.

×

Upon arriving at home I immediately made my way into Mias room, not even bothering to knock on the door.

"Hey, uh- knock maybe?" She snapped at me and I dropped my phone with instagram open on her desk.
"Mind letting me know what the fuck this is?"

My sister sat there in silence for a while, mouth slightly agape, all colour slowly draining out of her face.

"Not that you didn't just post pictures, no, you had to reply to comments as well??" - "What was I supposed to do? Let people think you're dead?!"
I scoffed. "Yeah right, did you regularly text my friends as well while you were at it?"

"Maddie, please … I was just trying to make coming back easier for you." - "Well have you ever thought that maybe I would wanna start over? That after two years of being locked up in a mental hospital I would be different, just like everyone else! You're unbelievable!"

Picking my phone back up I stormed across the hallway into my room, slamming the door shut behind me. Mia wasn't necessarily wrong, and I was sure her intentions were good, still it just felt wrong to lie about two years of my life.

"Maddie!"

Mia knocked at my door and I locked it, throwing myself into bed. Whether it was my period or the medication, I was awfully on edge today so I tried to nap for a while. I was already drifting away when my phone started vibrating on the nightstand.

Letting out a sigh I grabbed and unlocked it.

UNKNOWN
Yo Madeline!
Remember me? It's Nathan, we used to be friends until you bailed on us
Kidding, Vic told me you had to bounce earlier.
Hope we can catch up soon!

ME
Nate, hey!
How could I forget you? lol
I hope so too! Let me know when you're free, really need to get out of the house no matter when.

Maybe they were right and getting back into the environment I was in before would be easier -- now that I had changed, and the others too. I still wasn't sure about going back to Blackwell; Mia did give me all her folders and old books so that I could try and keep up while I was away. After all, it would just be one more year. It could even be my chance to catch up on some standard high school life achievements -- not that those things really mattered in the long run, but I wanted to finally feel normal again.

NATHAN
There's some dumb business event soon that my dad is dragging me to.
Maybe yours will go there too and you can tag along?
Free booze :D

I rolled my eyes.

ME
I'll let you know, ttyl! x

There was another knock at my door.
"Madeline! Open the door, please."
Speak of the devil, I thought and rolled over to get up and unlock the door.

"What?" I asked and my dad placed a hand on my shoulder.
"I understand that it's all a lot to take in after such a long time, and that you're angry and confused-"
I held up my hand to stop him from going on. "I'm not confused anymore, dad. I see where you're coming from and I think if you just give me a little time I can warm up to it. I just need some space, alright? Catch up with my friends and everything."

He nodded and got up. "Of course." And before closing the door again he gave me a smile.

"Dinner will be ready at seven."