Chapter 57

"You know, I admire the two of you." Kendra said, as Olivia and Scott were forced to follow her through the hallways of the base. Both of you have come from nothing to be two of the most powerful people in the galaxy. I mean, Scott, you left the Milky Way under the shadow of your father's disgrace and bereavement, and ended up becoming the human pathfinder. Olivia, a mere journalist who unlocked a Remnant vault with no prior combat experience. Remarkable."

"And how much of that was due to your interference?" Olivia interjected angrily. "You kidnapped and tortured and brainwashed me!"

"Yes, I suppose I did. And you should thank me. You are who you are because of me. Every story needs heroes and antagonists or the heroes don't seem so heroic." She mused with a self deprecating laugh. "Regardless, what the two of you have accomplished is remarkable."

"Is this the part where you monologue again?" Olivia asked bitingly.

Kendra grinned, "I'm just making conversation. You know enough about me. My goal is always power, and the two of you handed it to me here, but I do need people here in order to actually be powerful. I don't want war with the Nexus, I don't want planets. I just want this base. It'll be a new society, under my rule."

"You want your own mini empire?" Scott asked.

"Precisely." Kendra answered. "And it's coming together nicely."

The base was busy, far busier even than they had seen so far. Men and women with weaponry were on patrol, but there were others too, civilians wandering around in labs. They entered a large room being used as a dining hall where she even saw two children running around among the people eating.

"How did all of these people get here?" She wondered aloud.

"I made some improvements to Sara Ryder's implant." Kendra smiled. "Mine was not as good."

"Where is my sister?" Scott hissed again.

Kendra only sighed. "Patience, Pathfinder. We'll reach her eventually."

"But children? Civilians?"

"I told you, Olivia, I'm interested in creating a society here. Not just a militia. Children are a vital part of that."

"And they chose to come?"

"Outcasts and people unhappy with the Nexus, yes." Kendra smiled. "There are more people than you'd think who've become sick of Tann's agenda. They paused in a quiet room filled with blue light, their armed escorts lurking by the door. "You two could join them."

"Live here?" Olivia started to laugh, the idea so preposterous. "Live under your rule, as your puppets? I don't think so."

Scott looked equally mutinous. "You're clearly as mad as I've always believed if you think we'd stay here even for a minute if we didn't have to. Take me to my sister, and stop wasting my time, or I will lose my temper Dr Croasdale." He said, his voice low and furious.

"Very well." Kendra laughed. "Let's go and see Sara."

They walked a little way further, stepping into the room with the pods. All of her friends were there, her sister. They seemed peaceful, floating there, comfortable and far from danger. It made her furious.

Sara Ryder was sitting on a bench in the middle, bolt upright, her chin raised, staring into space. She was pale, a small scar across her head, red and thick. Her green eyes, so like her twin brother's were blank. They saw nothing and nobody.

Scott flew at her, kneeling before her. "Sara! Sara? Are you alright?" She said nothing, didn't look at him. "What the hell have you done to her?" He looked at Kendra, murder in his eyes. He jumped to his feet. "Well?"

"Scott..." Olivia said, seeing the men raise their guns. "Don't."

"She's given my sister a lobotomy." He hissed, barely in control.

Olivia was angry too, an icy cold fury that left her mind clearer than if she burned with rage. It was only her own memories that haunted her, lying on a hospital bed while Kendra operated on her, being tortured and yet totally loyal to this evil woman.

"Oh she can still move and talk." Kendra gave that stiff smile. "Sara!" Sara's head turned to see her and she rose to her feet.

"Yes, Dr Croasdale?" Her voice was dull, clipped.

"You should greet your brother, my dear."

"Of course." She walked across and hugged Scott tightly but there was no expression on her face. Scott held her, his own face tortured.

"You've refined your technology." Olivia glared at her. "What you tried with me."

"Somewhat. What I've done to Miss Ryder is a little more crude. Yours had to be subtle. You had to pass as yourself. Sara was extremely defiant. I just needed her to obey. Her implant however, is far stronger than your own. I doubt Dr Gaari could have done it."

"So what now?" Olivia asked. "Will you do to me what you did to her? Make me your slave too?"

"Perhaps." Kendra gazed at her with cold calculating eyes. "But not right now." That smile broke out across her face. "For now stay, enjoy yourselves. You're my guests after all."