CHAPTER 44: A Dance To Remember

Start from the beginning

Why the hell though? He was horrible to me today and I hated him. I hated him, right?

The next few dances went by quickly. My mind was somewhere else. Half occupied with Adrian and the other half with the anticipation of my dance with Nate.

He could accidentally push me into another dancing pair. Or worse, he could make me trip. He had done it before, he could do it again. I shook my head. Being brave was one thing but this was being stupid. No one gets called brave for jumping into an active volcano. I decided to sit the rest of the dances out. Instead, I went to the buffet and stuffed myself with delicacies.

I returned back to my hotel, late at night. I changed into a nightwear and began packing my things. I had a flight early in the morning and I had to go through a ton of mails on flight, to get in touch with whatever I had missed out on in the past four days so I just slipped into my blanket and fell asleep.

21st December

I smile spread across my face, the moment my cab drew into the Greys mansion's parking lot. I was still talking to Sarah, who was briefing me about an important deal that dad had closed while I was gone, when I went inside the house.

I gave my suitcase to a maid and then checked my watch. It was about one thirty in the afternoon. Well, I knew where everyone would be, at the dinner table so I told Sarah, "Hey! I just reached. I'll call you later." and slipped my phone into my handbag.

I called out to Kevin, "Kevin! Look who's back. I've got chocolates for you."

"Vanessa!", I heard him yell, followed by loud footsteps.

I gave him a Hershey's bar and crouching down to his level, said, "The rest, I am going to give your mom. If she allows, you can have them."

"No! He just ate, Vanessa.", Charlotte said, crossing her arms.

I smiled at her and then went over to her to give her a hug. I said,"I missed you."

"Me too.", she reciprocated.

"Where is everyone?", I asked, looking around.

"It was sunny so we decided to have lunch at the rooftop."

"Ooh! I haven't been there yet.", I said.

"Well, what are we waiting for.", she shrugged, motioning me to move forward.

We walked upstairs after Charlotte tucked Kevin into his bed for a daytime nap and left him with his nanny.

Charlotte asked me about the dresses and I told her how stunning they were. Just before I opened the door to the terrace, Charlotte said, "Just so that you know, your family is here."

"Kate?", I frowned.

"Everyone."

What was that supposed to mean?

I opened the door and several heads turned towards me. Now I knew what Charlotte meant. I scanned the faces of the people present there. The entire Greys family was there with an exception of Adrian who must have reached his penthouse by now since Nate was here. Dad and Kate were sitting down and looked very stressed. The next two faces explained, exactly why.

I stopped myself from recalling past memories. There was nothing but sorrow and betrayal when I looked down memory lane. I smiled at her,"Hi!"

She smiled back, hesitantly. I looked down at her hands entwined with her boyfriend's in a death grip as if she was afraid I would tear them apart if she let go.

I stood there, still staring at her. It had been so long.

"The most awkward family meeting in the history of time.", Cassandra rolled her eyes, taking a bite from the apple in her hand.

I uncomfortably smiled at her until I heard the terrace door open again and then I was surrounded by a familiar strong deodrant.

"Speaking of family meetings...", I smiled at Cassandra, who looked at the man standing next to me in shock.

She ran towards him and hugged him dramatically. "I missed you too, little sis.", He laughed.

"Where is the food? I am starving, Paula.", I said, rubbing my belly, ignoring the fact that I was in a room full of predators.

"Lunch is ready but go change first. God knows how long you have been in those clothes.", she complained, pointing to me.

"Fine.", I laughed and went downstairs.

I stopped on the way to my room, the memories slowly clouding my vision. Everyone was there, everyone who had choosen Jennifer over me that fateful night. I tried to hold myself back but finally the past had caught up to me. I remembered that night through flashes and words still echoing in my head.

I held onto the railing tightly as the memories flooded into my mind, both of 25th December 2013 and of its aftermath. Hot tears blinded my vision but my mind was still filled with the memories of that night. My knees buckled and I sank down to the floor, wrapping my arms around my legs and burying my face into them. My room was close by but I couldn't get up. I was so overwhelmed.

I felt hands grab onto my arms, shaking me and repeating my name. I was sobbing violently now, gasping for breath. I felt suffocated, drained and so pathetic.

I would have taken a bullet for her but then she shot me, straight in the heart, leaving a hole in could never fill, no matter how hard it tried.

A/N: So it is finally here!!! What do you think exactly happened that night? Keep reading, voting, commenting and enjoying the story.

Love you all.😍