Do I Wanna Know?

Clove's POV
I never thought I'd miss Mellark. Going a month without talking to him is weirder than I imagined. I stare at our last chat as my door opens and Cato walks in, fixing his tie. I quickly turn in my chair.
"You're early." I say as he sits down on my bed.
"I know. Glimmer texted me stressing the importance of being on time, so I figured I'd hurry you along." He says and I roll my eyes.
"You make it sound like I'm the one who spends forever on their hair."
"Hey, believe it or not, I don't just wake up looking this good."
"Oh I believe it."
"Ha ha." He says and I chuckle. I ruffle his hair as I leave to go change, grabbing my outfit as I go. Once I'm done I go back to my room where I see Cato on my computer, staring at my chat with Mellark.
"What are you doing?" I ask, folding my arms.
"I could ask you the same thing." He replies.
"That is my private computer."
"It was open on the screen. I didn't touch anything." Cato says as he stands up and turns to face me.
"None of that is your business."
"I am getting really sick of this act, Clove."
"What act?"
"The one where you act like you're a rebel. Half the time I feel like I don't even know who you are anymore."
"I am not a rebel, asshole."
"Oh really? Then explain all of the questions lately about Headmaster Snow. Explain why you're talking to Lover Boy."
"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm talking to Mellark because... because his mom hurts him too. He understands it, okay? He gets my family in a way that, I'm sorry, you just can't." I snap and Cato takes a step back, hurt flashing through his eyes. Crap.
"So basically you've found yourself a new rebel best friend."
"Cato-"
"It's the one thing I can't understand, Clove. I have tried so hard for years to try and be that person for you and every single time you dismiss me because my family is different than yours? And now you've found a guy you shouldn't even be talking to in the first place to replace me with?"
"He is not replacing you. Not in the slightest. Come on, Cato, we're better than this." I say as I take a step closer to him.
"Are we?"
"Yes." I reply immediately, Cato crossing his arms.
"Then why keep another secret from me?" He huffs.
"You mean like the time I didn't tell you I was being forced into prostitution so that my little sister could be safe?"
"I could've helped you."
"It was too big of a risk. I'm sorry if the fact that I kept it from you upsets you more than the idea of Willow getting hurt, but I don't regret that decision for a second." I snap and Cato takes a long time to react. When he finally does, I expect a rage.
"We're going to be late." He states and exits my room. I open my mouth to say something, but think better of it as I follow him out to his car. The ride to the banquet hall is silent. We pull into the parking lot and find Sagara waiting out front. Cato pulls into a spot and Sagara walks towards us.
"That's not a good sign." I say and Cato furrows his eyebrows. We get out of the car and I shiver, pulling my jacket tighter around me.
"Is Marvel with you?" Sagara asks.
"No." Cato replies.
"Uh oh."
"Uh oh what?" I ask.
"Uh oh Marvel isn't here and the rehearsal is about to start."
"No one knows where he is?"
"He told Glimmer he was on his way. That was an hour ago." I turn to Cato and see he's already calling Marvel. After a few moments Cato growls and I anticipate having to catch his phone, but he takes a deep breath and puts his phone away.
"He's not answering." Cato says.
"We called him and his parents. It was no help."
"Where could he possibly be? He knows how important this is to Glimmer."
"My guess is as good as yours." I shiver again as I look around the parking lot, hoping to see Marvel's car somewhere. No such luck.
"We should probably go in. No point in all of us being late." I say and walk towards the door, quickening as I feel the beginning stages of snow on my head. I open the door and am immediately ushered to a dressing room, Cato and Sagara not far behind. Sagara and I enter the girl's dressing room and see Sirena hugging Glimmer. Okay now we're getting a little dramatic. I focus on warming up as Sirena and Sagara console Glimmer. I try not to roll my eyes once she finally collects herself.
"I'm sorry. I know you think I'm being dramatic, Clove." Glimmer states and I turn to look at her.
"It's just the rehearsal. Maybe something came up." I reply.
"A few months ago I would have thought the same thing, but ever since school started..."
"I know. Were you crying because he's not here or because you're done with him?"
"I... I don't see how I can go on pretending this is okay. I guess we really were nothing more than a summer fling."
"No more crying." Sirena calmly orders as she dabs Glimmer's face with a tissue.
"Thanks. We should go practice now. I guess I'll just walk in alone."
"Have Cato escort you." I say.
"I don't know-"
"He'll do it."
"Then you have no one to walk with."
"I think I'll survive."
"I-"
"I'll take care of it." I exit the room, glad for an excuse to leave, and knock on Cato's door. He opens it, hiding his other hand behind his back.
"Hey, can you walk Glimmer in since Marvel isn't here?" I ask.
"Yeah." He replies and goes to shut the door.
"Cato, wait. Can I come in?" I ask, catching his eyes with mine. He sighs.
"We're starting in a few minutes."
"I don't want you to be mad at me."
"What you said was uncalled for."
"I know. Can you just let me in?" I ask and he opens the door. I walk in and before I can say anything I notice a hole in the wall.
"Cato." I say and turn to him. He reveals his hidden wrist and my eyes slightly widen at his swollen and bloody knuckles.
"I'm better, but I'm not great." He admits and avoids my gaze.
"I figured. I'm proud of how far you've come."
"Really? Even though I punched a hole in the wall?" He looks up at me, confused.
"Yes, even though you punched a hole in the wall. You could have done a lot worse based on what I said and the Marvel thing, but you didn't. Does it hurt?"
"It looks worse than it is." He says, smiling sheepishly. I sigh and swallow the lump in my throat.
"Clover, you always do this." Cato states.
"Do what?" I ask.
"Make it impossible to be mad at you."
"I don't get what you mean. I... I can't believe I said..."
"I can't believe it either."
"Cato-"
"I don't want to fight with you over something I know you didn't mean. Don't you think I'm tired of it too?"
"I don't know how to fix it."
"Me neither." There's a long pause before Cato tugs my arm and pulls me into his arms.
"I'm so sorry." I say as I rest my head on his broad chest.
"It's okay."
"No it's not. You're one of the only people I'd trust Willow's life with, sometimes the only person at all. I know you'd never care more about me keeping a secret from you than Willow's safety."
"Good, because I've never given you a reason to think differently."
"I know. I just... sometimes I feel like I can't tell you things. I don't want you to get mad."
"I would never get mad at you for what happened."
"I know, but you are mad at Ajax."
"Aren't you?"
"Yes, but I can control my temper. Even the idea of me talking to Mellark about anything is enough to set you off."
"I'm working on it."
"I know, and I'm so proud of you, but I feel like you get very jealous whenever I talk to a guy about my problems."
"Jealous?" He asks and pulls away from me. His face is unreadable.
"I don't know what else to call it. Mellark only gets to help with one piece of my life, but for some reason that's still too much for you."
"Do you get jealous when I tell other girls personal things?"
"Cato, watching you and Glimmer be a couple last year was awful. Even though I know you two are broken up now, I still get a little jealous when you two do things for each other. Like the fact that you wanted to get here early, you never would've done that before dating her."
"Oh. I didn't know that."
"That's because I don't like showing it. It makes me feel insecure and weak and petty."
"The Mellark thing makes me feel the same way."
"It's one small part of my life, Cato. You mean so much more to me than Mellark does." I say, my cheeks turning slightly red. I see the corners of his mouth turn up slightly. Before he can reply, the door opens.
"We're ready when you are." Sagara says and exits.
"After you, Sevina." Cato states and as I begin to walk I feel his hand on my lower back. I swallow my gasp and keep walking, my face finally getting less red when his hand is gone as we meet Glimmer. I avoid eye contact with her and take my spot in the line.
Glimmer's POV
"I saw that." I whisper to Cato.
"Saw what?" He replies.
"Your hand on Clove's back. Did something happen? Is that what took you two so long?" I excitedly ask and tug on his arm. He glares at me.
"Nothing happened."
"Oh come on, don't hold out on me."
"Glimmer-"
"Cato, my boyfriend didn't care enough about me to even tell me he wasn't showing up tonight. I need something to keep me from crying for the rest of the night." I say, taking a deep breath. He sighs and pulls me towards the entrance to the room as we begin to enter.
"Nothing major happened. We had been fighting before we got here and we made up."
"And?" I ask as his smile grows.
"And... she said I mean a lot to her and that she still gets jealous of me and you sometimes, which I take to mean she might..."
"She totally does!" I squeal and giggle as his face grows red. We don't get another chance to talk until we sit down for dinner and Clove goes to the bathroom.
"So what are you going to do about it?" I ask.
"What?" He asks.
"Clove having feelings for you which you clearly reciprocate."
"I wouldn't say clearly-"
"Cato, don't even try that with me." I say and he sighs.
"I don't want to ruin anything, plus she just started getting over the Ajax thing. I don't know if she's ready for anything and I don't want to push her, if that makes sense."
"It shockingly does, but you're not going to hurt her. She knows that. Why not take a chance?"
"I... I don't know."
"What's the worst that could happen?"
"She says no and never speaks to me again."
"What are the odds that happens?"
"Probably not too high. She's not as dramatic as you are." He teases and I scoff.
"All I do is help you and what do I get? Sass." I reply and he takes a slow, deep breath.
"Thank you. I mean it. Without you... I don't really know where I'd stand with Clove."
"You've always loved Clove."
"I didn't know how to deal with it though. Not until I experienced a real relationship."
"You're really maturing, aren't you?"
"Slowly, but surely."
"Aw, I'm so proud of you." I say and hug his side. My dad begins to make a toast, denoting the coming end to the rehearsal, and thanking everyone for coming.
"If anyone would like to come join myself and the Missus for a final dance, you may." My dad says and whisks my mom away onto the dance floor, Sagara and Sirena following. I sigh and blink away tears as I watch my parents happily dance. Cato nudges me and I turn to him, smiling.
"Would you care to dance?" He asks and puts out his hand, Clove watching from over his shoulder.
"You're supposed to be partners with Clove for everything. I can't take you away again." I reply.
"It was her idea." Cato says and Clove nods her head in agreement. I sigh and gratefully take his hand. We walk onto the dance floor and I'm taken aback by the dancing skills Cato has.
"Since when could you dance?" I ask as he twirls me.
"I like being good at things. I knew I'd have to dance at this and have people look at me, so I learned." He replies, shrugging as he spins me out.
"That's amazing." I giggle as he spins me back into his chest. I continue to laugh until I hear someone clear their throat. I turn and see Marvel standing behind me, arms crossed and eyes showcasing pain.
"Wow. I wish I could say I'm shocked." He states and instead of feeling the wave of guilt that I should have felt, I felt a rush of anger take over me.
"Oh you do not get to be the victim, Marvel Hermes James. You were suppose to be here hours ago and you never said a word. I called, I texted, Sagara called and texted, Cato called, I asked your parents, and somehow you still managed to be unreachable. You've known about this for months and you've already missed several practices, the least you could have done was show up for the rehearsal on time. It's practically over now." I exclaim.
"Something came up."
"Something always comes up. I am sick of not being a priority for you."
"Do we have to discuss this now?"
"Yes. We have to discuss this. Now." I state and become aware of the absence of music and all eyes on me and Marvel.
"On that note, let's call it a night." My mom orders and the room begins to empty, save for me, Marvel, Cato, Clove, Sagara, and Sirena.
"Do you guys mind?" Marvel asks and Sirena, Clove, and Sagara begin to leave.
"Yes. I do. What exactly did you think was going on just now?" Cato asks.
"Well, you were dancing with my girlfriend, which is supposed to be my role-"
"You weren't here. Somebody had to care enough about Glimmer to dance with her."
"And you're okay with this?" Marvel asks and turns to Clove, Sagara and Sirena taking this as their chance to leave.
"Yeah. I told him to do it. What is your problem?" Clove asks.
"My problem is that I had such a crappy day and I show up here, even though I knew it was a bad idea, and there's my girlfriend dancing with her ex also known as my best friend which is a relationship they both know I feel insecure about and somehow I'm the bad guy."
"You're the bad guy because you don't care about me as much as you used to. This summer you would have moved mountains for me, but now I doubt you'd lift a finger if a mountain was crushing me to death."
"That's not true-"
"That's what it feels like."
"So, what? You take that as an excuse to be with your ex again?"
"Marvel, there is nothing going on between me and Glimmer. Stop making excuses. It's pathetic." Cato says and I sigh, wishing he hadn't.
"Who asked you?! This is my relationship so butt out."
"It's not a relationship. Not anymore." I say and Marvel finally makes eye contact with me.
"What?"
"I can't keep doing this, Marvel. You stand me up, you keep secrets, we haven't had a date in a month... I clearly don't matter to you as much as I should. I promised myself I would never again be in a relationship with a guy who wasn't as invested in it as I was."
"What are you saying?"
"I'm saying we're done. I'm breaking up with you. I don't want to, but I am." I whisper, tears streaming down my face. Marvel turns to Clove.
"I always thought you'd at least have my back against this. I guess not." Marvel spits. He storms out. I look down and feel two arms wrap around my back. I look up and see Clove and Cato on either side of me. I smile at the gesture as they begin to walk me out of the room, Sagara and Sirena waiting with my parents. I run into my mom's arms and begin to sob.
Cato's POV
As I watch Glimmer and the rest leave I restrain a growl. Marvel. What a jackass. I turn to Clove whose arms are crossed as she stares at the door.
"Come on Clover, I'll take you home." I say.
"Okay." She whispers, looking at her feet. I furrow my eyebrows in concern as I put my hand on the small of her back, lightly leading her to my car. When we reach it, the last one in the lot, she turns to face me.
"Cato?" She asks, not looking up.
"Yes?" I reply.
"Do you have feelings for Glimmer?" She asks and I smile.
"Clover, look at me." I say and she slowly looks up.
"What?"
"I do not have feelings for Glimmer. What made you think that? Marvel?"
"I wasn't the only one who didn't like seeing you two together."
"I know, he made his feelings very clear."
"I guess he got to me."
"He shouldn't... he was just looking to be the victim. Marvel knows who I really have feelings for."
"Who?" She asks, a nervous smile on her face. I smirk at her.
"I think you know."
"I don't think I do."
"Well, she's short. Feisty. Strong. I admire her. She likes to pretend she's cold, but she's not. I care about her a lot and I really want to kiss her right now, but only if she's comfortable with that." I explain, all of my fear kept at bay as I stare into her eyes. She smiles softly at me.
"Yeah." She whispers, stepping closer to me.
"Yeah?" I ask, wrapping my arms around her waist.
"Yeah." She says and wraps her arms around my neck. Our lips finally meet and I feel my smile grow. It just feels right. By the time Clove pulls away I have lost all sense of time. She bites her lip and it takes all of my restraint to not kiss her again. She keeps her forehead on mine and sighs.
"Cato?" She asks.
"Yes?" I reply.
"Can we talk about... this... after the games? I want to have a clear head, you know? What happens in the games kind of changes everything."
"If that's what you want."
"Are you mad?"
"At you? Never."
"Well that's a lie. You're always mad at me." She teases and I chuckle, smirking at her.
"Besides, you have no reason to be mad." She adds, leaning in.
"I don't?" I ask.
"Nope. Just because we haven't officially talked doesn't mean we can't do things unofficially." She says and puts her lips on mine again. The kiss isn't half as long as I want it to be and before I know it she's walking to the car door.
"You're going to kill me, Sevina." I say and she chuckles as I walk over to her.
"That's the plan, Hadley." She taunts and I shake my head, hovering my lips over hers before moving to her nose at the last second. She hits me in the arm.
"Take me home." She orders and I put my hands up in mock surrender.