Chapter 4

"About your-" before Ethan could finish his sentence my phone started ringing.

I held my finger up pulling my phone out of my bag as it played 'In My Blood' by Shawn Mendes. My phone consisted of about 5 contact numbers and a couple of games. According to Hannah, I was to 'simple' since I didn't have an Instagram, Snapchat, or Twitter account. Not that I really need it; I barely know where my phone is most of the time.

Checking the caller ID. I saw that it was my brother.

Hunter is a year older than me and is currently attending a community college 30 minutes from home. He stayed close to home to help pay bills since neither one of them wants me to be distracted with work during school.

Not that it stops me from getting in trouble.

"Hey Hunter," I said sweetly.

"Where are you at?" he asked without even saying hello.

"Uh, hello to you too." I scoff kicking a small rock.

"Mel I'm not in the mood for this," he groaned.

"Okay, okay. I'm on my way home. I was just saying good-bye to my friends."

Ethan and Hannah just moved from side to side; giving me some privacy.

"Whatever, but have you heard?" he questioned in a demanding tone.

"Heard what?" I asked curiously wondering what he was talking about.

"It's just that," he stopped mid-sentence.

"Hunter Ace, what happened?" By this point, I started getting anxious. Many scenarios started to run through my head but the main one was something happening to my mom.

I hesitated before asking, "Is mom okay?"

I felt my whole body tense up waiting for him to answer.

There was silence before he finally spoke up, "She's fine."

I let out a breath as my shoulders relaxed.

Then what could be more important that has him all worried?

"Then what is it."

I heard movement on the other side. "How soon will you be getting home?"

"I'll be there in 15 tops." Hannah mouthed 'Is everything okay?'.

I shook my head 'yes' right as Hunter replied back.

"Okay see you then. Be careful and don't do anything stupid; your already in trouble from earlier." He reminded me before hanging up.

I pulled the phone away from me looking at a now black screen. "Bye."

"Is everything okay?"

I looked up to find concern filled in Ethan's eyes.

"Yeah, he just has something important to tell me." What could be so important is beyond me.

Usually, he would just let me know over the phone or would just wait until I got home if it was of importance to talk about. For example, me getting in trouble and what we're going to be the consequences, or on what it was that we were behind on paying so that we could reduce some expenses.

But this was something that couldn't wait so I put my phone in my bag once again and look up to both of my friends who were waiting for me to speak.

"I have to go now," I started pulling my bag over my shoulders adjusting the straps.

"Do you want us to go with you?" Hannah asked stepping closer to me.

"No, it's okay. Plus both of you have things to do and I don't want to interfere that so I'll get going on my own." I slowly started to walk backward.

"If that's what you want to do." Ethan sighed walking up to Hannah's side before continuing on. "Just call one of us to let us know you've made it home." He pointed between the two.

"Okay, I will." I walked up to both of them and wrapped my arms around them. "Take care."

Arms were wrapped around my body as I heard Hannah respond.

"Shouldn't we be saying that to you?"

Backing away a chuckle left my lips, "You're right, but still take care and call if y'all need anything."

They nodded their head simultaneously.

I started to walk away but not before I turned to face them and yelled out, "I love you too."

"We love you too." They call out before they started to walk their own way.

Walking down the sidewalk the only thing that crosses my mind was my father. Though he did leave just two years after I was born I've always wondered why.

Was I the reason he left?

Did he not want me in the first place?

Was my brother and I too much to deal with?

Or was I too much to deal with?

I've questioned my mom about it but she's always said the same thing.

"He would always talk about how he wouldn't be able to raise his kids, but I would always tell him that I would be there by his side so he wouldn't be doing it alone. Seems like what I said didn't matter; he still left."

Regardless of the reason he left, he didn't seem to care if we were okay or if we ever needed anything.

Soon I came to the end of the sidewalk. Before I continue on I check my right and left side twice before I started to walk across the street.

As I was halfway across the street a car could be heard. I looked to my left to see a black car coming full force with no intentions of stopping at any point.

Frozen seeing that the car was no further than 20 feet away; I barely notice the person that came from behind me grabbing me by the waist as they push me forward.

A shriek left my lips as I fell on my right side scraping my knee and upper arm in the process.

Groaning in pain I look to see that the car had stopped merely 10 feet away before they took off.

I lifted my hand to my head as a ringing sound invaded my ears making my pounding head hurt even more.

A manly groan was heard from behind me; moving to a sitting position an arm held me tighter before they finally let go.

Turning to face this mysterious man, I was met with the most captive electric blue eyes, sharp jawline, messy hazel hair, and very built arms that had several tattoos running down his arm.

"Are you okay?" He asked sitting up.

Shocked from the intense deep voice, I looked back at him as he seems to look for any injuries on me.

Standing up I shook some dust off my hands. "Yeah, just a few scratches. You?"

"I'm fine." He stood up.

Tilting my head to the side I saw how every muscle flex as he bent slightly over to pick my bag up.

"Why did you stay there?" He suddenly asked.

Taking back by surprise I wonder myself the same thing. "I don't know. I saw the car coming and I felt my whole body paralyzed."

He nods his head processing the information.

After a few seconds, I broke the silence.

"Thank you."

"For?" He questioned looking from side to side trying to find something.

I rub my hands down my face. "For saving me; you didn't have to do that."

His eyes met mine. "That's my job."

____________

It's been some time, but here's an update.

Some question to think about:

- What was Ethan trying to say?
- What does Hunter have to say that's so important?
- Where they trying to run her over on purpose or where they simply not looking?
- Who do you think the mysterious guy is?

- ♡