Chapter 3

Walking out of the school, both Ethan and Hannah were waiting for me by a tree that barely provided any shade.

Ethan was no taller than 6′0, he had brownish hair, ivory skin color, and light green eyes. He was currently wearing his workout clothes that were soaked in sweat.

He didn't play any sports at all. He just liked staying in shape since he blames us for the few pounds he gains during our reunions every Friday.

"You guys are still here because?" I asked as I walked up closer surprised as to why they were here since I'm sure I was in there for more than an hour.

Ethan just shrugged as he got his hands out of his pockets, while Hannah twirled a strand of hair around her finger as she sat crisscrossed on the ground.

"We just wanted to see if you got suspension or expulsion. Since you already had one too many warnings." Hannah responded as she stood up and started walking ahead of us.

"Actually" I started as I walked down the stairs to catch up with her.

"Uh, detention is only Monday and Tuesday."

"Only two days?" Ethan question as he followed behind.

Questions could be seen from miles away flowing through both of their heads but the main question was; Why only detention?

"Go ahead and ask," I told them as I stopped mid-sidewalk and stepped aside in case anyone walked by.

The things that went on in there wasn't a big of a deal, but they were the only important people that I had in my life including my mom and brother.

Especially since I grew up in a small town where if you don't have a dad everyone talks about. They would look at you like a weird creature and get as far away as possible.

Bullied for being left is something I wouldn't want anyone to live through. Especially the pity received from the teacher when certain events that are father related came around and you're just sitting there alone, without someone.

They both glanced at each other undecided to whether ask or not.

"Now is the moment to ask" I once again said. "No question, okay." I started walking again.

"Why didn't he suspend you?"I turned to look at Ethan who had his hand on the straps of his backpack holding it tight towards him with Hannah nervously standing by his side.

"Well," I grabbed the hazel strand of hair that got on my face and put it behind my ear.

"He actually named 3 reasons as to why he wouldn't suspend me for this one time."

"He actually gave reasons?" Hannah question clearly surprised.

Mr.Hicks was one to not give reasons for the consequences he gave to his students.

It's been like that since the beginning up until now.

We slowly started walking. "Yeah, but anyways the first reason," I said as I lifted one finger up. "The kid, Max, notified him that I just helped him out."

"Well at least someone says something" Ethan mumbled.

"The second reason," I rose two fingers up. "He also told our dear principle that Jack was the one who started the fight" I sarcastically said at the dear part.

"What?" They both exclaimed.

"Does he know what they will do to him? He's pretty much dug his own hole at this school," Ethan snapped.

I let out a laugh as to what I was about to tell them."You can't be serious," he stared. "You do know he'll be their victim until he graduates"

I held one hand up. "Oh but I haven't even told you the third reason."

He crossed his arms across his chest."Well, are you going to tell us?" He asked irritated.

"Do any of you know who the parents of Max are?" I asked them.

"I didn't even know who Max was up until now," Hannah spoke up.

"True but let me give you some brief information on Max. First, he's a Freshman this year, he takes advanced classes, and will probably be put in the Senior class."

"Okay, but that has nothing to do with his parents." Ethan said as he empathizes the word 'nothing'.

"Oh but it does, his parents both graduated at an early age. Making them one of the smartest students that have ever stepped foot in this school."

I said before adding, "beside their older son who I found out that graduated 5 years ago."

"Mel, get to the point. I seriously need to go to the bathroom, and I can't do that if we keep standing here and you don't hurry up." Ethan rambled.

"Okay, geez. I'm almost finished anyway." breathe in one last time. "His parents are in charge of the CIA in 12 states or in other words majority of the Southern states including ours."

"What?" Hannah stuttered, while Ethan just looked straight ahead.

"Wait, so what was the third reason then?" He then questioned.

"My dear friend, Max parents are the ones who help with the majority of the donation every single year. Meaning that they threaten Mr.Hicks in either doing his job right or getting kicked out of his position in a blink of an eye." I said remembering the phone call back in his office.

"And this was over a phone call?"

"You should've seen his face," I said chuckling still amazed about the power Max parents had.

"But anyways, now Jack is suspended and will be sent to alternative school right after due to his behavior."

"Wow," he said amazed by the situation as much as I had been when I heard them.

"Then why the sour mood?" Hannah asked taking me off guard for a second.

"What?"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about," she stated as she put her hands on her hips as she narrowed her eyes daring me to lie.

"Uh, he spoke with my brother and there will be no movie for me today or for a while for a matter of fact. Plus I'm grounded" I breath.

"And he asked about my father."