Chapter IX

Meredith gets to Jules's house at 6:50 and can see through the kitchen window all of the women walking about, drinking wine and taking pieces of pizza from delivery boxes. She comes in through the front door.

"Hellooo?" she sing-songs.

Jules rushes down the hall and her eyes widen at the sight of Meredith. "Mere! Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry, I thought the meeting was at seven—" she says. "I didn't have my phone on me until a little while ago and saw all the texts."

Jules squints at her. "Shame on you," she wags her finger. "I'm just kidding. You're busy with the horse, I get it." She leans forward and gives Meredith two air-kisses. "We just tightened some loose ends with Pink Aid, but we're pretty much all set." She puts her hand on the small of Meredith's back. "Come have some pizza."

They enter the kitchen and all the ladies squawk at her. Feeling awkward, Meredith grabs a piece of cheese pizza and takes a bite. She finds a seat on the couch and pretends to listen as the women summarize what they've accomplished during the meeting. Pam is across the room leaning against the kitchen island with a hearty glass of white wine in her hand. If Meredith doesn't tell Pam that she moved Thor now, Pam will find out soon enough from Kimberly. She'd rather it come from her own mouth and Pam's easier to talk to when she's got some alcohol in her, Meredith thinks.

She makes her way over to Pam. "Hey can I talk to you?" she whispers.

Pam lifts an eyebrow and quickly, Meredith regrets coming over. But Pam nods and they excuse themselves to the foyer.

"What's up?" Pam asks, swirling the golden liquid in her glass. Round and round like a whirlpool.

Meredith's heart is racing again and she blurts everything out in one breath. "I ended up moving Thor to Barn 5. I just think it—it's better for me. I really like the work aside from the riding, you know what I mean? Does that make sense?"

Pam takes a sip of wine and purses her lips.

"You know it's not easy to get into Barn 6."

"I know—I really appreciate your help with that but, erm." Meredith swallows. "It just wasn't the right fit."

"Meredith, you can do whatever you want." She presses her palm against her chest, "I don't care what you do with your horse. If you're happy with Barn 5, then great. Good for you. That's fantastic." She takes another gulp of wine.

Meredith tenses. She can't read if Pam is being sarcastic or serious. Then Pam reaches out and pinches a piece of Meredith's shirt. She makes a disgusted face, "Yuck. What is that?"

Meredith looks down at the beer stain like it's the first time she's seen it. "I think it's Thor's slobber."

"It smells sour," Pam says, sniffing her fingers. "Like beer."

"You don't have a Tide To-Go wipe do you?" Meredith asks quickly, backing away before Pam can catch the scent of her breath.

"Take it to the dry cleaners. Tide isn't going to get that out." Pam shrugs and then tips the wine glass into her mouth, this time until the wine is all gone. "I'm going to pour another glass. I'll pour you one too," she says, turning to go back into the kitchen.

"No, I'm okay. I need to use the bathroom," Meredith says.

She grabs the bathroom door handle and slips inside. She puts the lid down on the toilet seat and sits on top of it. She rubs her eyes with the heels of her hands. It stinks of the cinnamon potpourri and rose-scented perfume. She looks up at the hand-painted walls of willow trees and waterfalls. The bronze swan sculpted into the faucet stares at her, it's bill spread out at the mouth.