Chapter 5: Flashback

"So do you go to university here?" Irene asked.

I shake my head, "No actually I'm alway's here because of my best friend Jongin."

"Which one is that?" she asked curiously. I easily pointed him out.

"The one who's dribbling the ball, number 04," I answer.

"Oh, nice. So where do you go?" she inquired.

"I'm actually in grade 12," I say. "You're in the same grade right?"

She hums saying yes, "So what are you applying for?"

"Journalism, in the States," I reply. "What about you?"

"Interior designing," she responded. "You know I'm so glad you're here. Every time my dad asks for me to come I'm too shy since I don't know anybody."

I laugh, "Yeah I know how you feel. I kinda hate coming here."

She frowns, "Then why do you come?"

"Because of Jongin. He drags me to every practice and game. I don't even know why I come?"

"You guys seem to be close," she concluded.

"Something like that," I comment. We sit in a comfortable silence as we watch the guys conducting some drills. After a few minutes, the coach calls for a break trying to make sure the guys don't tire themselves out before the game. I scrunch my nose as the boys start coming up to the bench.

"What's wrong with you?" Baekhyun asked.

"You guys stink," I say pouting and Irene nodding her head in agreement. All the boys laughed at my comment.

"And you are?" Baekhyun asked curious about the gorgeous girl next to me.

"Hi, I'm Irene. Coach Kim's daughter," she introduced herself. All the guys enchanted by her beauty immediately came up to her kindly greeting her. I chuckled at their behaviour until I saw Jongin looking star-struck.

"Hi, I'm Jongin," he placed his hand out. She smiled warmly and shook his hand.

"Ara's friend, right?" she asked. He nodded dumbly too busy admiring her beauty. I was used to this. Jongin falling for other people but the prickling sensation was always there.

"More like Ara's boyfriend," Baekhyun teased. As if it's the most disgusting thing in the world, Jongin whipped his head to Bakehyun.

"She's like my sister," he chided as he clenched his teeth. Angry at his response and behaviour I start focusing my attention on my phone. Irene awkwardly sat down on the bench again chatting away with Chanyeol, another team member.

"Ara," Jongin called out. I looked up trying to push back my anger and act as if everything was perfectly fine. "Gimme your water."

I glared at the irresponsible man standing before me, "Why didn't you pack water?"

"'Cause, I forgot. Just gimme some," he slightly whined. I gave him a look and started to open up my bag, but before I could even fully open it up Irene whipped out her water bottle.

"Here you can have mine," Irene said with a sweet smile.

"Thanks," Jongin responded with a slight blush on his face. I kept looking back and forth between the two. What was I expecting?

~~~

"You coming to the practice?" Jongin asked over the phone.

"Do I have a choice? I should be done my paper by then," I respond, Jongin chuckled at my sass. "Are you picking me up?"

"Of course I am," he said. "I'll pick you by five. Go to sleep for now."

I hummed and said goodbye before climbing into my bed and working on my paper. I really wanted to see him so sacrificing my sleep was a given.

~~~

5:00 p.m.

5:12 p.m.

5: 29 p.m.

"Aren't you supposed to be at Jogin's practice?" my mom asked as she cooked seaweed soup for my brother's birthday tomorrow.

"Yeah, he said he'll be here by five and he isn't. He's not even responding to my calls or texts," I complain, putting my head down against the cool countertop.

"I'm sure he's running late. He probably took a nap and overslept," my mom assured me. Jongin does love his sleep.

"Whatever, I'm going to be upstairs waiting for him," I told my mom. A few minutes later, I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Come in," I say. I look up from my book to see, "Baekhyun?"

"Hey," he says nervously, scratching the back of his neck. "Jongin couldn't pick you up so he asked me. He said you would understand or something."

I laugh at how nervous he looked. Baekhyun probably expected me to freak out, "Okay let's go."

I get up from my bed shutting my book and grabbing my laptop, "Why were you laughing?"

"You had a funny look on your face," I respond. He followed me out of my room like a lost puppy. After twenty minutes, we reached the soccer field where the practice was held.

"Aren't you mad at Jongin?" Baekhyun asked curiously as we got off the car.

"I'm sure he has a good reason," I reply. Once we reached the field I see Jongin laughing and talking to Irene.

"Even if that reason is Irene?" he says hinting something. That's when I realized he probably blew me off because Irene asked to be picked up. I stiffen up slightly and try my hardest to relax.

I turn to Baekhyun and smile, "He said I would understand and I do. I'm like a younger sister and always will be the second choice."