Dark Red Chocolate - Chapter 5

Gun fire rang through the air. Red opened her eyes in time to see a flash of red sweep the wolf away into the trees. Hissing and growling, whimpering, and screaming echoed about the woods.

"Red, hold on." She heard her mother's voice, but she might have imagined it.

"Mom?" she whispered.

"Here, drink this blood."

Her mother pressed warm flesh of Mr. Tiller against her lips. She bit down and drank. This time, she experienced no pain, but the rush of energy. She looked up, seeing the red color of her mother's cloak. Only her mother wore such a bright red cloak.

Edna appeared from the trees. "See? I told you that silver bullet would come in handy."

Her mother looked back at the baker. "Yes, you were right."

"Edna?" Red asked.

The baker stepped around the corpse, as if it wasn't there, and stroked Red's hair, despite the blood. "You poor dear."

Her mother placed a hand on Edna's shoulder. "She'll be alright."

Red life-blood returned. "You knew?" She asked.

Edna laughed. "Of course, my dear. I've always known. How do you think I knew the recipe for a chocolate cake that attracts wolves? Too bad these were werewolves, though."

Her mother nodded. "Edna followed you, Red. She knew where the rite was supposed to take place. When she saw the werewolves, she ran to get me."

"You and Edna?"

Edna smiled. "You see, back when your mother was a little girl she had a run in with a werewolf in these woods. My husband was a lumberjack. He heard the commotion and killed the beast with a silver axe. Silver always comes in handy, you know. Your mom, my little red riding hood, was saved by a very handsome young man."

"She's talking about your father," Red's mother added. "He was doing his own rite of passage. He brought me back from the brink of death. He would have been so proud of you. You killed three werewolves by yourself."

Red shook her head, feeling the urge to cry. "The Tillers. Outcasts like us."

"Oh, dear," Edna said. "No one knew we had werewolves in the village. While wolves are not keen on eating chocolate, this cake had a potent aroma designed to attract wolves. They must have smelled it and went hunting for its source."

Her mother said. "It's okay, Red. You didn't have a choice. You're a vampire. They would have tried to kill you regardless of how bad the villagers treated both of you."

Edna stood up. "Listen to your mother. You did what you had to do. Let's get you patched up. It'll take a while for you to heal."

A vampire? Yes, that's what I am. I'm not a witch. I'm really not an outcast either. They are.

Three weeks later, they celebrated her birthday over a chocolate cake, filled with a deep blood-red center. Her mother watched over her. "You've passed the test far better than any other vampire in history." Red also recovered, her body feeling stronger and faster than ever.

"Yes, you definitely deserve this cake," Edna said, though she didn't partake. She had no taste or interest in blood. Instead, she nibbled on a cookie.

Red licked the blood from her fork, savoring the sweetness.

"So, what would you like for your birthday?" her mother asked.

Red grinned. "I know exactly what I want."

"Oh?" her mother asked.

"Sarah Good."

Edna placed her cookie back on the plate and sighed. "Oh, dear," she started. The corners of Red's mouth already started to drop. "If you kill Sarah Good, then you have to make it look like an accident."

Her mother laughed, and then she laughed.

"What if she disappeared? Forever?" Red asked.

Her mother and Edna glanced at each other and nodded.

The next night, Red jumped up into the second floor window of Sarah Good's bedroom. Inside, Sarah Good sat admiring herself in the mirror. She brushed the long locks of her blond hair, caressing the strands.

Red almost felt sorry for her. Almost.

Red stepped into the room. "Hello."

Sarah turned around. "What are you doing here, you freak? Get out of here before I scream or before I beat you with this brush." She waved it like a weapon.

Red resisted the urge to laugh. "I am not a witch."

"So? Whatever you are, daddy says you are damned. Now go away. You heard me. Shoo! Shoo!"

Red grinned, extending her fangs.

Sarah gasped, dropping the brush and hurrying backwards. "Stay back."

Red smiled. "You're not afraid are you?"

Sarah flinched. "Look, if you leave now, I'll be quiet. I won't tell nobody. We'll leave you alone."

"I wrote something for you."

Sarah stared at her with a confused look. "Wrote something for me?"

Red pulled out a letter from inside her cloak and read: Dear mom and dad, I've decided to leave and explore the real world for myself...

"What's that?"

Red moved closer, pressing Sarah against the wall of her bedroom. "Want to know why my parents named me Red?"

"Uh, sure. Just leave me alone. Please." The girl shook with fear.

Red reached her fingers towards the crucifix that Sarah wore around her neck. It burned her skin the moment she gripped it into her fingers. "You're right. It does burn. Well, now it does."

The girl's eyes widened in shock.

Red laughed and yanked the chain free of the girl's neck. "Look into my eyes." She knew they were turning the darkest of red now. She extended her fangs out completely.

Such a sweet, birthday gift.