Chapter 2

Monday morning meant a messy and loud high school.

It was so strange for teachers to act so surprised when teenagers don't even pay attention in class. You KNOW that the curriculum is getting harder!!!

I lugged around the heavy leather jacket I had, looking for Estelle. She had come to school early to buy us tickets to the Winter Dance that was coming up.

Hope came right in front of me with a bright smile. "Hello Luke." She greeted. Her hair was topped with a black bow. My mind went blank for a second before I managed to speak.

"Hello," I said, forgetting about my task.

"I just wanted to say that it was really cool of you and Estelle to tell me about the ending credits," she said, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear. It curled cutely in a spiral and looked lighter than the rest of her hair. "And how cool you guys were with my whole 'I have to read to my brother' thing." A blush colored her cheeks. "I can't say that to many people."

I laughed. "Well, we aren't like most people, huh?"

She noticed the leather jacket. "Who is that for?"

I looked down as if it was the first time I've seen it. "Oh yeah, it's for Estelle."

Hope's smile faltered. "Estelle?"

"Yeah, every time it's cold out, she never brings a jacket so I have mine." I said, starting to look for her again. "I swear, she does this to piss me off."

I finally found her.

She was standing with her friends, laughing and gossiping probably about the new kid from England.

It was always her attitude and obsession of other guys that pissed me off. It was enough to be the talk of the town, but to be sexualized is ten times worse. I knew her imagination could carry on for years and it made me storm over to her.

"Hey," I whispered, grabbing her bicep. She smiled when she saw me.

"Luke!" She cheered. "How are you?"

"Why don't you bring a jacket?" I scolded her, draping mine across her shoulders. Her friends sighed and giggled.

Probably over that new kid.

Estelle rolled her eyes. "Luke, hypothermia is the next hip thing. Get with it."

I sighed, raising a hand to touch her freezing cheek. "Next time, I will let you freeze." I threatened, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "C'mon, you'll freeze to death." As we walked away, I started to scold her. "Those girls aren't good, Estelle. Stop hanging out around them."

"Luke, I'll be fine," she said, leaning on me. "You worry too much."

"I care for you," I grumbled, "that's not a bad thing."