Chapter 3

During lunch, Hope had approached us with her book bag in hand and an idea.
"I was wondering if you both would like to go and study in the library?" She smiled. I looked to Estelle and she shrugged.
"I would LOVE to, but I have to practice for orchestra." She picked up her notebook and left me alone with the goddess of beauty. Aphrodite.
"Yeah, I'll study with you. But I'm a bit quiet when it comes to these kinds of things." I told her. She smiled gratefully.
"Thanks Luke."
I followed her out and down the hall to the library. She was quiet until we were walking outside, to the large building a few yards away.
"It was really nice for you to give Estelle your jacket and how you always look out for her."
I shrugged. "We have been together for about three years now." I stared at the flower petals drying out and what vibrant colors they still provided on the ground.
Hope nodded enthusiastically. "Since ninth grade!"
"It's crazy how easy it was to just be worth her and not feel pressured or like you need to contribute much to the relationship." I admired my friendship with her so much. "No one else has made me so happy."
Hope nodded, her combat boots crunching the gravel underneath her shoes. "I see..."
We entered the heated room and grabbed a table near the back so there would be less noise.
"So!" I said, giving a small smile. "Trigonometry?"

Her lavender hair was becoming more and more pleasant to see everyday as she approached me. Hope was different. She always had me thinking of what to say and when I study with her or even sit next to her in class, I find it hard to THINK.
Estelle had given up her ticket and insisted that I ask Hope.
"What?" I spluttered out. "But it's like a month away, she probably has a date!"
Estelle rolled her eyes, leaning over my bathroom counter to make sure she wiped off all of her make up. "If you know ANYTHING about girls, you would know that she likes you."
My eyes widened and I glanced down at the bowl of popcorn that was warming my thighs. "No...."
"Yep." Estelle nodded, walking out in my shirt and her sweatpants. She crawled on the bed before snuggling up next to me, taking a few kernels. "Besides, that Brit guy asked me and we are going out."
I was distracted by my own thoughts as the movie played.
Would Hope REALLY say yes to me? Should I be worried about the British guy who was slowly taking away my Estelle?
My best friend snapped in front of me and claimed my attention. I looked her in get face.
God, she looked so tired with her bags and small lines made from her confused faces she made too many times. And her face had more imperfections than she had with make up.
"Are you paying attention?" She asked me. I nodded, using an arm to pull her closer to me.
"Perfect. What're we watching again?"